Time wasting dealers (non Merc)..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tell them what i'm telling you now which is that if you think that your car is worth more, sell it yourself and take cash to the deal. You'll get better leverage.

If they'd have been honest with their initial quote and offered £1500 I wouldn't have bothered turning up, thereby not wasting my time or theirs. It's clearly an underhand attempt to get people in the door and then try and wear them down using sales techniques. As I'm head of procurement at work and spend around £3/4 million a year, safe to say I'm pretty much immune to sales bullshit.

Cheers,

Gaz

This is wewantyourcar.com's business model as well, if my experience is any guide. They will offer you 'today's value' when you turn up, and in my case, it was quite a bit less than the original offer, though the car was exactly as described - pristine. Timewasters are not just found on eBay...

As I'm head of procurement at work and spend around £3/4 million a year, safe to say I'm pretty much immune to sales bullshit.

Clearly not this time :D

Try not to get bent out shape over it. They're in the business of selling cars so their first job is to get people through the door. The trade-in price is all you could expect to get.

I buy cars at auctions for exactly the reason that I hate dealing with dealers. It means that I have zero recourse if things go sideways (and they have a few times) but as the saying goes , i take my chances and pay my price.

I own more cars than I have fingers and toes for exactly the reason that i hate dealing with car buyers.

Take comfort in knowing that the BS you had to deal with on this one occasion is their life day in and day out.

Your experience doesn't really surprise me. "We wont do anything with the imperfections on the car we are selling but we will happily take the piss and knock your part-ex as much as possible". For the record, I agree they wouldn't replace the light either and would leave it for the buyer to "negotiate on" if they sell it.

We then go back to the showroom where we have to go through the inevitable upsell regarding GAP, wheel protection, paint protection etc., none of which I have the slightest intention of taking out but I smile and nod politely whilst he goes through the spiel.

When I bought our current steeds respetively, I nipped this wasted 5 minutes in the bud. She was a lovely sales person but I asked her politely not to bother going through any of the aftermarket stuff as I was not going to be buying anything like that.

When I bought our current steeds respetively, I nipped this wasted 5 minutes in the bud. She was a lovely sales person but I asked her politely not to bother going through any of the aftermarket stuff as I was not going to be buying anything like that.

Around 2013 I bought an E class at a Jaguar dealer.

I was expecting the sales process to lead into the sale of various types of insurance and was prepared to push back and explain that I wouldn't be interested.
What I wasn't prepared for was the guy to tell me that under FSA regulation he must go through this stuff with me.
The FSA had recently (a couple of months at least) become the FCA.

I explained this to him and he wouldn't believe me!

This was a national, very large, dealership.

I wonder if he's caught up yet?

It seems to fall on deaf ears. I told this to the dealer and guess what, I had to go through this twice, at initial order and then at collection a week later. And at some places, it takes 45 minutes before they allow you to test drive the car, because they want to take info about your car, check part exchange price etc. Even when you don't intend to sell it to them. It's just part of the play. I notice disappointment when I say, that I don't have part exchange.

But what is more bizzare to me, that some places don't ask to see or check driving licence. Salesmen just say: "ok, let's go for a test drive".

But what is more bizzare to me, that some places don't ask to see or check driving licence. Salesmen just say: "ok, let's go for a test drive".

It is bizarre. I've only been asked for my licence once in the last 12 years.

When we wanted to replace Mrs B’s Fabia, we went to a small local dealer with a good reputation, who offered a bespoke service. I told him what car we wanted, what spec, age etc, and my “cost to change” budget.

It took him a few weeks, but he came up with exactly what we wanted, within budget.

Obviously I knew approx what the forecourt price of the new car would be, but until I saw the invoice, I’d no idea what he’d allowed P/ex, it turned out to be within £300 of the initial ‘Webuyanycar.com’ valuation.

No wonder he has a good reputation.

It seems to fall on deaf ears. I told this to the dealer and guess what, I had to go through this twice, at initial order and then at collection a week later. And at some places, it takes 45 minutes before they allow you to test drive the car, because they want to take info about your car, check part exchange price etc. Even when you don't intend to sell it to them. It's just part of the play. I notice disappointment when I say, that I don't have part exchange.

I bought my CL back in August 2016 (i.e. not that long ago) so maybe dealers are different on this up front boring to death protocol.

I wasn't trading my E55 either as the value was £4k off what I knew I could get for it.

Also a similar deal when I spoke to a different dealer about an E63 - no bull this time at all and no trade in of the CL. :dk:

At the time I bought the CL, I drove 4 different cars in total and they all looked up my driving licence details online to confirm it was genuine before I stepped foot in the drivers seat to go anywhere.

No bullshit when I bought the B, straightforward easy deal!

He asked what I was planning on doing with the S55 and I said I was going to sell it myself, no issues!!

We only got 1500 trade in for our 59 Yaris 1.33 42k fsh, but that's because the air-conditioning is well and truly fecked, needing a complete flush and a new compressor.

At the time I bought the CL, I drove 4 different cars in total and they all looked up my driving licence details online to confirm it was genuine before I stepped foot in the drivers seat to go anywhere.
Some dealers take copy of driving licence and also ask you to sign document that you're responsible for damage to certain level and any speeding tickets. Two different brand Inchape dealers gave me the same form to sign, BMW checked my licence on computer directly via DVLA. Abarth, two dealers didn't bother at all, Chevrolet (Camaro) didn't ask about anything. Maybe I'm old enough to look trustworthy ;-) I always carry driving licence anyway, so it's not a problem if anyone wants to see it.

Standard dealer behaviour from what I regularly read and hear about.

I normally provide my lowest part ex price on initial contact and advise that it's likely to increase once we have seen the car Subject to inspection.. That way the customer knows where they stand.
We never reduce this value unless there is a major issue with the car or its history.

Some get offended and come back with the usual "but webuyanycar" offered us x, but as everyone knows, none of these car buying services actually pay the online quote.

Small independents like us will usually pay the most for part exchanges as its a convenient way of getting stock that we will then Retail.
Larger dealers will send off to auction and so will pay less than "bottom book" to allow for transport and other costs...

When I bought my car, the young (and very pleasant) sales person was apologetic and said he had to go through the aftermarket stuff, if was part of his training and he had to follow process. Also the conversations at the sales desks are recorded (dealer protecting themselves against customers saying that the sales person made varoius promises?) and he could get in trouble if his boss found out.

We only got 1500 trade in for our 59 Yaris 1.33 42k fsh, but that's because the air-conditioning is well and truly fecked, needing a complete flush and a new compressor.
I am assuming that the dealer was planning on retailing the car himself.

I Pxed a few cars that went straight to auction, the dealer was only concerned with the condition of the paintwork and wheels. The mechanical side was covered by 'let's hear the engine', and that was a 30 seconds engine run at idle rev.

I am assuming that the dealer was planning on retailing the car himself.

I Pxed a few cars that went straight to auction, the dealer was only concerned with the condition of the paintwork and wheels. The mechanical side was covered by 'let's hear the engine', and that was a 30 seconds engine run at idle rev.
.Doubt it, tbh, this was a Ford main dealer.

Some dealers take copy of driving licence and also ask you to sign document that you're responsible for damage to certain level and any speeding tickets. Two different brand Inchape dealers gave me the same form to sign, BMW checked my licence on computer directly via DVLA. Abarth, two dealers didn't bother at all, Chevrolet (Camaro) didn't ask about anything. Maybe I'm old enough to look trustworthy ;-) I always carry driving licence anyway, so it's not a problem if anyone wants to see it.

I carry mine too. That's what the dealers read the details from and still checked them online. I guess to see if the licence was revoked etc.

Can't remembering the other bits but they could have happened too. Just remember the DL bit.

..." they tend to depreciate quite heavily over a short period of time."....Boom boom, ooh err inappropriate ...

I used Tootle to sell my wife's car. Great way to sell. Upload the photos and description then wait for the offers to come. (Doesn't cost a penny to use) Accept the best offer and wait for the dealer to contact you and arrange collection from your house in most cases.

The offers I had were all over a grand more than we buy any car offered, and more than the a dealer i was buying from was prepared to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom