Timing chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aded

Car
W204 C180 2012
Hi all, kindly help with this pls.My car timing chain was done in December 2021, the car moved good but some history of oil leak. E cause mechanic did not put proper seal and o ring.and I have being changing my oil regularly like 4000 mile.but before Christmas I was having noise from engine, I change belt and pulley and tensioner but not continued,I hope the top and inspect the chain.mechanic used hold plastic guides left and right ,I changed it and also noticed the Top chain guide also shaking, I replaced it all with genuine from
MB.but after completed the top plastic guide still shaking, the chain look ok to me.Kindly have a look pls.I think the product that mechanic used not good .

Attachments

• IMG_7613.png
    IMG_7613.png
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7579.jpeg
    IMG_7579.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Hi all, kindly help with this pls.My car timing chain was done in December 2021, the car moved good but some history of oil leak. E cause mechanic did not put proper seal and o ring.and I have being changing my oil regularly like 4000 mile.but before Christmas I was having noise from engine, I change belt and pulley and tensioner but not continued,I hope the top and inspect the chain.mechanic used hold plastic guides left and right ,I changed it and also noticed the Top chain guide also shaking, I replaced it all with genuine from
MB.but after completed the top plastic guide still shaking, the chain look ok to me.Kindly have a look pls.I think the product that mechanic used not good .
Yes bga are rubbish quality, it's not much more expensive to use genuine timing chain and tensioner. I'd strongly advise checking engine timing first and then chain for slack

Yes bga are rubbish quality, it's not much more expensive to use genuine timing chain and tensioner. I'd strongly advise checking engine timing first and then chain for slack
@Oleks 1992,
Thank you for your reply, BGA is rubbish, it was my mechanic that ordered it, the car was opened this afternoon and the chain rail guide was shaking and chain stretch or loose a bit but not jump, I left the car there, I will buy ,timing chain, guides and tensioner from Mercedes .The cam gears look ok.thank you.

Usually the variator gears are the problem, the chain is just collateral damage.

Hi Sorry I didn’t understand pls
On the end of the camshaft is the variation gears that the chain runs around which is part of the variable timing system. The fault is usually is internally with those gears. If you turn the engine over by hand they will make a loud clacking noise (youll need the rocker cover off to determine that). The clacking noise is those gears jamming as they turn. As a result it puts excess stress on the chain thereby stretching it.

On the end of the camshaft is the variation gears that the chain runs around which is part of the variable timing system. The fault is usually is internally with those gears. If you turn the engine over by hand they will make a loud clacking noise (youll need the rocker cover off to determine that). The clacking noise is those gears jamming as they turn. As a result it puts excess stress on the chain thereby stretching it.
Thanks for your reply,when he checked he noticed play in that rail timing chain rail,I will send picture when he did it before to you.He said I can buy ther chain rail both from Mercedes, tensioner and chain as well from Mercedes

That rail is just a guide and does nothing to tension the chain. If the chain is noisy/rattling/stretched you need to find out why. Like I said, its usually the gears on the end of the camshaft.

@Oleks 1992,
Thank you for your reply, BGA is rubbish, it was my mechanic that ordered it, the car was opened this afternoon and the chain rail guide was shaking and chain stretch or loose a bit but not jump, I left the car there, I will buy ,timing chain, guides and tensioner from Mercedes .The cam gears look ok.thank you.

I recommend you first replace your mechanic.
If he orders BGA for your Mercedes then your mechanic seem to be of no good quality himself ? :eek:

Unfortunately you have to buy the parts again and pay for labour twice.
Good luck with your car

I recommend you first replace your mechanic.
If he orders BGA for your Mercedes then your mechanic seem to be of no good quality himself ? :eek:

Unfortunately you have to buy the parts again and pay for labour twice.
Good luck with your car
I bought timing chains kits from Mercedes already with guides, tensioners etc, I will take it from that mechanic before start working on it,how much anyone recorn that likely to cost for labour.thanks

I bought timing chains kits from Mercedes already with guides, tensioners etc, I will take it from that mechanic before start working on it,how much anyone recorn that likely to cost for labour.thanks

I hope it works out for you and your car is back on the road soon.

How much did these genuine MB part cost you in total?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom