To AMG or not to AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
As some of you probably know, I bought a CL500 at the weekend and very nice it is too. Now, it came with the AMG styling pack so deeper bumpers, side skirts and 20" AMG wheels. It also came with an AMG badge which I believe is a factory fit.

The thing is, I'm torn. I like an AMG, I own a full bore one in the form of my CLS63 but is it a bit too try hard to leave the AMG badge on this one? I mean no it's not a four cylinder diesel with an eBay badge on it but it's also not a hand assembled full on AMG, but it is a V8. First world problems eh!! hahaha

05UgkZY.jpg

keep it as is - lovely motor

you still have 'the AMG' when emotions kick in ;)

Keep it.... I have an AMG badge on the back of Mrs757's E350 Coupe.. we ordered the car with AMG styling and 19" AMG wheels from new... the badge was added by the dealer on my request... its not really an AMG (Its actually a V6 diesel Turbo) and I sometimes felt a little bit daft having it when in the presence of genuine AMG's but... in the end it matters not... enthusiasts know its not really an AMG.. as does the driver...
Now I finally own an AMG 55 , its become less thought provoking.. its only a badge.

1st World problem indeed :D Why not just live with it for a month and then if you think it's not what you want, remove it. It is your car after all ;)

That's a nice looking car apart from the AMG badge:):):oops: Just kidding. If you like it, keep it. Personally speaking, I can't be bothered if the car beside me is an AMG or not.
Little tale from my youth, when I was 17 & just passed my test, I made up a dyno tape label with "Speedwell Tuned" on it & stuck it on the back of my dad's new Austin 1100. Someone actually asked me what had been done to the caro_O. Almost ended up in the s### when I wrote it off & the insurance company wanted to know what the tuning consisted of & were all for pulling off the head to check. My dad eventually convinced them it was the work of a daft wee boy.:banana: Lesson learned

Haha ouch that could have ended badly! Nowadays though, you could have one genuinely badged and people would doubt it.

I think I'll keep it on there for now. See how I feel further down the line when I fancy the back of the car smooth.

My SL500 has a factory fit AMG body kit with AMG alloys but I wouldn’t dream of adding and AMG badge. IMO take the AMG badge off. It’s not an AMG so why badge it as one. Your CL is a lovely car though.

Very handsome car.

Those who know will know it’s not an AMG, and those who don’t won’t care. Anyone other than you who gives it more than a passing thought doesn’t have enough important stuff to occupy their mind.

Enjoy it, lovely car 👍🏻

My SL500 has a factory fit AMG body kit with AMG alloys but I wouldn’t dream of adding and AMG badge. IMO take the AMG badge off. It’s not an AMG so why badge it as one. Your CL is a lovely car though.
This is my thinking, much like your SL500 it's far from a poverty spec model and it's a very lovely thing. I may remove the badge at some point, we shall see haha

Once they go electric the AMG brand is going to become a styling package only anyway so it doesn't matter much either way any more I reckon.

Back in the day… (showing my age here…) if I remember correctly, if you picked 3 items from the AMG options list they gave you the badge. This was from very early in the Mercedes take over iirc. I picked 3 items when I bought my SLK, wheels, exhaust and body styling. There was no AMG engine option in the pre-facelift cars.l :( I also opted for debadging on the rear, and the AMG badge came in the glovebox when I collected the car.
I never fitted it, btw

Once they go electric the AMG brand is going to become a styling package only anyway so it doesn't matter much either way any more I reckon.
I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.

What you're effectively saying is, after 2030 they're going to give up on making anything that is remotely quick, fun or interesting to drive. They'll just blend their product in with all the other press-and-go EV's that'll be ten-a-penny by then. For them to do that, also means their market will have to have dried up - are you suggesting that all EV's are 'fast' and there will be no need for a halo brand making high performance versions?

Keep it.... I have an AMG badge on the back of Mrs757's E350 Coupe.. we ordered the car with AMG styling and 19" AMG wheels from new... the badge was added by the dealer on my request... its not really an AMG (Its actually a V6 diesel Turbo) and I sometimes felt a little bit daft having it when in the presence of genuine AMG's but... in the end it matters not... enthusiasts know its not really an AMG.. as does the driver...
Now I finally own an AMG 55 , its become less thought provoking.. its only a badge.
I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it. The most common question I get on the CL is "Is it an AMG?". This from MB enthusiasts too. Not many care what badges you have on a car.

I think if you put them on you non AMG car....that's a bit sad......but if its factory policy to put them on cars with AMG pack items then its a factory fitted part as far as I'm concerned and that's fine.
I do have a pair Cloverleafs (Quadrifoglio) on my ALFA 159 (genuine factory ones from a Giulietta.....not cheap eBay knockoffs) which upsets a few purists.....but traditionally the Cloverleaf was for good luck on ALFAs race cars an only used by ALFA on the faster or higher spec ones more recently....there was even a factory 1.9 diesel Cloverleaf! If you drive a ALFA you need all the luck you can get!!! I don't consider myself to be faking anything because anyone in the know will realise that ALFA never made a cloverleaf version of the 159....one of very few ALFA models never to wear the badge..
At the end of the day OP....your car, your choice!!
IMG_20220608_074451_copy_2080x1560.jpg

Last edited:
Im not sure it ever was factory fit to put AMG badges on a non-AMG car.

Sure, a dealership could do before handover if requested, but at the factory? I find that hard to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom