Transferring saved programs from sky box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
We have a Sky+HD box with loads of programs saved on to it.
We will be reviewing what we pay for tv in the coming months with both sons moving out over the next 3 months.
If we ditch Sky, is there a way of still accessing the recorded programs? One recorded program is of particular sentimental value & would like to save it elsewhere regardless.

You can record onto devices that sit between the output of the Sky box and the TV (remember the days of VCR) I had a device made by ARCHOS (not Argos :) ) and that could do exactly as you want. It was pre HDMI...used good old scart, but I'm sure there are some techno geeks on here that can tell you a new device.

You can also play the recording and record from the output of the TV. It's a pain, because it takes two hours to record a two-hour show, and so on.
I didn't find a way to quickly copy over the data.

If you can find software to decrypt it, in theory you can pull the SATA drive out of the Sky box and put it in something else. - I'm sure Sky would frown on this so the software is probably not easy to find.
They may also be saved in some proprietary format, but I suspect that it's less of a problem to find a codec.

If you find a way, please say so. I've also got a Sky+ box with saved programs and no subscription.

Recording it on to another device in real time is the only reliable way I found when I was trying to solve this problem a couple of years ago. I used a spare PVR.

If it is just the one programme you're really interested in have you looked to see if its available to buy and keep anywhere (BBC, Apple, Amazon etc)?

As said, it's encrypted. You could go down a dodgy rabbit hole trying to pull the drive, hook it up to a computer with some not so readily available software that may or may not be available, but it's probably a lot easier to acquire that TV recording separately, either from official sources, or other networks.

Kodi and add-ons and re-downloaded it in an unencrypted format.

Same level of legality really as you only own the right to hold it on a Sky box whilst you have a Sky subscription.

Here's the grey area. - If you recorded "Planet Earth" off the BBC through your Sky box you've arguably still got the same right to view it as if you'd saved it from terrestrial TV (or iPlayer).

It's probably easier to try to find it on iPlayer than mess about decrypting the files on the Sky+ box.

In a vaguely similar vein ... when my BT TV contract ended I found that recordings I'd made from channels that were included in the package (Discovery etc.) no longer played. So the box must check for a current subscription, even on playback. Freeview channel recordings were fine.

I believe that if the box does not connect to the internet to know that the subscription has ended, then may still play what's on the box. Once it knows the subscription has ended it stops the recordings from being played.
I found this out when I switched to a HD box and used my old box as a Freeview box.

I believe that if the box does not connect to the internet to know that the subscription has ended, then may still play what's on the box. Once it knows the subscription has ended it stops the recordings from being played.
I found this out when I switched to a HD box and used my old box as a Freeview box.

Interesting, so presumably you'd need to disconnect it before the subscription expired and leave it offline till you'd viewed all the recorded stuff. Worth a try next time!

Interesting, so presumably you'd need to disconnect it before the subscription expired and leave it offline till you'd viewed all the recorded stuff. Worth a try next time!

You would need to disconnect if from both the internet and the dish as a minimum. The Sky card would get updated via the dish which is one way in which it would get disabled. It may also be time bombed if it doesn't get an update.

I would just source the programmes from the likes of a Kodi install via the internet if you have a decent broadband speed. Less hassle than trying to transfer it off.

You need to remove the hard drive and download Ex-PVR. the free version works but pay for a license and there are no restrictions.

It can also be used to clone Sky HDDs, I upgraded mine from a 500GB to a 2TB using this, saved me a lot of money compared to what Sky wanted for a 2TB box.

About ExPVR - The Sky+ & Sky+ HD Recording Copier - pH-Mb

Mine was BT TV rather than Sky, so no dish or card ... just TV aerial and broadband. But it was only out of interest really as the service expired a couple of months ago now (I used it as a cheap way to get a Youview box).

It'll clone the drive, but that's just copying it byte by byte. It'll still be encrypted and inaccessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom