Tyre size question and - MB Dealers got retarded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerja

Car
w204 220cdi sport
Now,

I have purchased my approved used W204 C220 with staggered AMG wheels, it didn't bother me at all up until recent moment when I have spotted a flat N/S/F tyre. (Luckily enough I didn;t drive ti, just pumped up beforehand and left at this stage) Tyre pressure warning didn't tell me nothing at all, and I was just keeping an eye on it.

Now, pumped up to 32psi, it dropped all the way down to 10, still no alert from car.

checked that it reads the ABS Sensors (No individual tyre pressure sensors installed I Guess) and the next thing I have realised.

I have 225/45 r17 on front and 245/45 r17 on rear fitted by MB Glasgow

they were the ones who did the MOT and only advisory was "both rear tyres worn" hence replaced by them.

Now, It is coming up to cold times and I am thinking of changing both front tyres (one letting air out for strange reason no nails or any damage, checked when wheel was taken out of the car) second one looks old and cracked and has 3-4mm left on it (again, WTF?!) and they are Avon when rears are michelin.

My options currently are: fit 225/45 r17 winter tyres all round, or just replace both front tyres.

Shall I go for 225/45 r17 or get 225/50 r17 to get same size all round car?

I don't know what year is your car, or what tyre size it originally came with.

The best way is to check either the documentation that came with the car, or the car's DataCard for your VIN.

Said that, looking at the W204 Owner's Manual for the post-facelift model, and assuming that the 225/45 R17 tyres you mention at the front are the original size, then this is what you should have on your car:

Front: 225/45 R17 91W - 7.5J x 17 H2 ET 47

Rear: 245/40 R17 91W - 8.5J x 17 H2 ET 58

The above is for Summer tyres. Apparently, there is no winter tyres size in the manual that will fit your current wheels, so if opting for Winter tyres, you will need to change the wheels as well - again, assuming that you intend to stick to wheels and tyre size combination as per the owner's manual, though you could obviously opt for other sizes using the usual tyre size calculators, e.g.:

Alloy Wheels & Tyres for sale: for Cars, Motorhomes, Vans & 4x4s: Best UK prices with TYRESAVE. Also part-worn tyres

Tyre pressure warning won't work if it hasn't been set/reset.

225 will be too narrow for the wider rear rims.

Also, as for fitting 225 all around.... the 225 should go 7.5J wheels, while your rear wheels would be wider at 8.5J, so to achieve 225 all around you will need to have 7.5J wheels all around.

EDIT: As WN said....

Can your car take 16" rims with the sport package? Not sure if there's a problem of clearing the calipers - my S204 is elegance trim. I'm in the process of getting a set of 17" staggered AMG rims powder coated and rubbered as my summer wheels, but have a set of 16" rims with winter tyres bought for not a lot off Ebay (and were vurtually new, with 7mm+ tyres on!). That way I don't risk rim damage changing tyres every 6 months - even at £10 per tyre, it does not take long to recoup the cost of the second set of wheels! Worth a look!

I'm confused. Did I interpret that the dealer fitted the wrong tyres on the back?

If so I'd be straight back there....

Personally I'd just replace the fronts, but I have a backup at home for snow...

I'm confused. Did I interpret that the dealer fitted the wrong tyres on the back?

If so I'd be straight back there....

Personally I'd just replace the fronts, but I have a backup at home for snow...

Yes, dealer fitted 245/45 on the rear instead of 245/40, but it was before I purchased the car, so I don't think there will be much luck in getting anything from them.

Ok so 7.5J rears will be to wide for 225/45

Now, shall I get 225/50 on the front to make up for wrong rear size?

Cheers, KK

Yes, dealer fitted 245/45 on the rear instead of 245/40, but it was before I purchased the car, so I don't think there will be much luck in getting anything from them.

Ok so 7.5J rears will be to wide for 225/45

Now, shall I get 225/50 on the front to make up for wrong rear size?

Cheers, KK

8.5J on the rear..

No, don't add to the error, get the correct sizes. If you up the section you will run the risk of moving out of the speedo error margins..

for the record, Russian MB Club members fit 225/45 on the rear 8.5J rims, pictures attached:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom