Uh-Oh BAS/ASR Light!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnnyW202

Car
2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
Hi there, been doing the bodywork on my car, eliminating the rust, blending it... It's taking it's time but coming along.

Alway the battery had died as the boot lid was left open in the garage, there's no lock in as I'm treating that area at the moment.

Jumped her fine the other day.

So I took her battery off and tickled charged it for 24 hours, the guage showed 0 amps charge rate, i.e fully charged.

Put the battery on to start the car to turn it around and the front wings now need to be in the garage to painting etc. instead of the boot. By the way the boot lid is unbolted and the licence plate wiring, lock and boot switch are all disconnected.

Went to start her up.. and low and behold the BAS/ASR light is illuminated and the car won't rev. It'll hunt up and down in Park and Neutral and just sit at a steady 700 idle in drive or reverse and slowly creep,but no action from the loud pedal!

Must be something simple... Battery Voltage related?

The car can't go from being fine yesterday to being faulty today!

ASR/BAS well it's obviously not the ABS rings or anything, given the circumstances.

Any Help?

Turn the steering lock to lock a few times and see if the light goes away.

The other issue maybe a failing maf. If the battery goes flat the engine control unit can loose some of it's adaptation data. If the maf was poor ( at it's adaptation limit) letting the battery go flat can cause the working limits of the ECU to be re-set.

It could also need the throttle flap re-setting too. This can be done by leaving the ignition on for 30 mins or getting a boot strap on a Star

Thanks Olly, dare I use the pun you are a "star"

Bloody thing, I'm going have to get myself one of the interfaces... I saw a Thinkpad T30, Software and Multiplex go for £140! on Ebay.

I did notice it ran better without the MAF plugged in.

Why must these things always happen, when I was just starting to make progress?

So if I start the car it just idles, then as soon as I hit the throttle it'll hunt.

It will not rev at all, MAF plugged in or unplugged.

When I unplug the MAF, the cooling fan on the rad runs at full speed.

Tried lock to lock multiple times, along with leaving the engine to run for awhile.

Any more ideas?

Hi, I know you mentioned that you were doing some work to
The car, you sure some wiring was not damaged somewhere ? It sounds like there is a short somewhere especially for the fan to come on when you plugged the maf in. Just a thought for you.
Steve

You mentioned corrosion and have to do the wings.

Check the earth points, especially the battery and engine bay.

No, the cooling fan should not run until the thermostat brings them on.

I had thisd last week and it was the following;
The steering lock sensor went out of alignment, when the battery had drained at the garage and then once charge it calibrated the wheels at the wrong position. So after resetting the sensor back to zero it cleared all the faults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom