UK number plates... Look naff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kend0

Car
CLK500
I may be on my own with this one, but I find UK number plates to look rather naff/unstylish compared other counties especially our European counterparts...

When I say they look naff, I don't mean the letter combination or private plates (that's a whole other thread I'm guessing everyone has covered in detail) but I'm referring to the actual look of them.

I say this as I was recently admiring a Lamborghini Aventador driving around Glasgow (bit of a dream car for me), but I couldn't help notice how goofy the front plate looked against the body... It just didn't look right in any angle, but hey ho, it's the law!

It then got me thinking on number plates in UK in general and their look (completely appreciate they are to serve a function rather than aesthetics, but they are rather dull and unsightly on a lot of cars, especially the above example)... Or maybe it's just me :confused:

Well, one option is moving to California and doing what Steve Jobs did.....

Well, one option is moving to California and doing what Steve Jobs did.....

What, drive a BMW? :rolleyes:

Just kidding... I'm not as ballsy to turn up at an IT company dressed as a hippy and demand I become CEO, but never say never I suppose!

Just kidding... I'm not as ballsy to turn up at an IT company dressed as a hippy and demand I become CEO, but never say never I suppose!

He drove a silver SL with no plates whatsoever. There was a trick to it, however.... (Google it) ;)

I may be on my own with this one, but I find UK number plates to look rather naff/unstylish compared other counties especially our European counterparts...

When I say they look naff, I don't mean the letter combination or private plates (that's a whole other thread I'm guessing everyone has covered in detail) but I'm referring to the actual look of them.

I say this as I was recently admiring a Lamborghini Aventador driving around Glasgow (bit of a dream car for me), but I couldn't help notice how goofy the front plate looked against the body... It just didn't look right in any angle, but hey ho, it's the law!

It then got me thinking on number plates in UK in general and their look (completely appreciate they are to serve a function rather than aesthetics, but they are rather dull and unsightly on a lot of cars, especially the above example)... Or maybe it's just me :confused:
I find them dull too but that's only because ours are not pressed hence don't give that 3D look. But at least ours are nicer than Belgium's and we can have them pressed but they can't change colours.

pressed-number-plates-light.jpg

belgie_europees_kenteken.jpg

I find them dull too but that's only because ours are not pressed hence don't give that 3D look. But at least ours are nicer than Belgium's and we can have them pressed but they can't change colours.

pressed-number-plates-light.jpg

belgie_europees_kenteken.jpg

Glad it's not just me... I'm not bananas after all! :bannana:(contentious)
Regarding your own, I wasn't aware you could have plates like that (pressed)... thought pretty much everything was illegal apart from the EU band?

I like the idea no speed camera could ever touch him again haha...

However some folk really didn't like old Steve eh?

Bearded *******
Mike Spinelli
10/27/11 4:19pm
like others have pointed out, its how he did it, not why he did it. i recall before when it was revealed it was his car, hipsters were twisting eachorthers titties about how he made his plate a barcode, and how he was being genuine and ****.

its the cars VIN, that delaerships and railyards scan into their computers when recieved. not a ****ing barcode.

why did he do it? because he was a stuck up snob. ooh, he found a loop hole, that any one could have found if they went onto their states website and looked at licensing/registration laws.

for example. i dontk know what the law is, but my insurance company allows me 14 days between vehicles to swap the insurance and registration.

you know how easy it makes curbing cars?

or hell, STEALING them, throw on a plate, if you get piulled ocver say yeah you bought it, and on monday you are getting new ins and reg.

but no one does it just to do it.

jobs did it to make it look like he is smarter than everyone.

"for example. i dontk know what the law is, but my insurance company allows me 14 days between vehicles to swap the insurance and registration.

you know how easy it makes curbing cars?

or hell, STEALING them, throw on a plate, if you get piulled ocver say yeah you bought it, and on monday you are getting new ins and reg."

Errr.... no.... I think if he is stopped by police driving a stolen car with fake plates, insurance will be the least of his problems? :confused:

he didn't turn up : he started the company in his garage !

Kend0 said:
Glad it's not just me... I'm not bananas after all! :bannana:(contentious) Regarding your own, I wasn't aware you could have plates like that (pressed)... thought pretty much everything was illegal apart from the EU band?
Sadly those pressed are not mine as I am still confused whether pressed are legal or not.

Sadly those pressed are not mine as I am still confused whether pressed are legal or not.

Perfectly legal, if manufactured correctly - the only requirement is reflective surface*, and 3D letters are allowed.

33522978510_540dbfc78b_o.jpg

* If one wants to be awfully pedantic, then we can argue that the vast majority (if not all) plastic plates are illegal too - the way it is spelled out is the plate material has to be reflective, and that's a very expensive plastic. What the [illiterate] government functionary, who wrote that meant is - the SURFACE of the numberplate has to be reflective, so in practice, all plates are laminated with 3M reflective film (exactly the same one, as used by DVLA-registered manufactures of metal pressed plates). :thumb:

Last edited:
jobs did it to make it look like he is smarter than everyone.

He was smarter than a lot of people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom