Upgrading standard audio questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kay187

Car
S-class 320 CDI
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my standard audio system and had few questions.

I have currently have a W211 with what I think is an Audio 20 headunit with an in-dash multichanger and factory subwoofer on the back shelf.

I'm pretty happy with the sound quality for now and am simply looking to upgrade to DVD/mp3 playback so am considering either a Command system or possibly a Dynavin unit.

Would either of these straight fit and keep the functionality of both the changer and subwoofer?

Also what kind of amp is powering the sub and where is it located? How much effort is involved to swap the sub and amp for aftermarket types?

I apologise if these points have already been answered but I did search the forums but could not find concrete answers!

Many thanks.

First thing I would be trying is seeing if you can play MP3 DVDs in your DVD drive in the centre console. This is my experience of it:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/108129-playing-mp3-music-w211-e-class.html

I can't advise on aftermarket as I'm still using the DVD method!

Assuming your installation is factory still, the amp (known as the Audio GateWay or AGW) which powers the speakers and sub is on the far left of the boot behind the carpet and further behind some metal work - which there is a gap between that and the outer wing. You can't easily see it but you can reach in and touch the cable etc. (be careful if you do as there are fibre cables which are orange I think).

It depends what you want to achieve.

This is what I know about it so far:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/136323-e55k-standard-system-improvements.html

I am due to revise my installation tomorrow to prevent the 'slap' and will post up. However, this is because I am missing the stock sub (although the stock sub is not great).

There are many levels you could go to but the stock system is very good in my experience.

The next level up is probably what sinewave had done in the above second thread. I would urge caution with the active sub due to saloons being hard to get bass into the cabin. I tried one but it is nowhere near powerful enough. Arguably, a mix of sinewave's Pioneer amp and door speakers, mixed with a larger 10" or 12" or even dual of each on the parcel shelf which I have done - would be the next level.

Beyond that, you are talking about adding a single expensive, or multiple amps, more powerful speakers all round, larger sub or subs on a custom shelf, either from the existing head unit or bypassing the AGW completely with a new head unit.

Hi

I have recently installed the Hualingam head unit in my E270 CDI W211 which is similar to Dynavin. I can't say it's the best unit out there but for a quater of the price of a decent audio head unit from Pioneer or Alpine it does quite a job. Oh well the materials it's built of are rubbish (from China with love :D), but feels somehow solid. Anyways back to topic. I had exactly the same audio 20 set up as you do. The installation was pretty much plug and play, no cutting wires or soldering so far...
Will start with positive points:

- Unit is exact shape of a original head unit which means nicely fits into slot with no extra expenses on a frame etc. I heard a nice wooden frame can cost a few hundreds...
- Reasonably easy install with keeping of the most functions of the steering wheel controls. Phone answer and hang up buttons on the steering wheel are not working in my case. I will have to look into this later I guess.
- Cluster menues are working fine for radio, audio CD, mp3

Basically unit works almost like it should do.

Now for negatives:
- CD changer won't work. I knew it from the very beginning, but since you've got iPod/iPhone compatibility (dock) + audio over bluetooth + micro SD card slot + CD/DVD player. I don't think I'll need it really. :)
- As I understood the original amp with subwoofer are down too. Well, I can live without the amp as the unit has amp built in, but I love my subwoofer and want to keep it, so if somebody knows how to get it going I would appreciate if you help me with that.

I hope it answers some of the questions.

Many thanks for the detailed answers. John I don't actually have a command unit, it's just the standard cd audio 20 player. I'm thinking of upgrading to a full command ntg 2.5 unit possibly but will need consider what I'm hoping achieve from the sound. The stock sub is quite punchy n deep so far for the car so might leave as is. Will update you later.

Audio 20 CD doesn't normally have a sub at all - if it does it is fitted below the rear parcel shelf in the middle. Audio 20 also doesn't have any seperate amplification (unless you have the Harmon Kardon option), it's all in the head unit.

Your easiest bet from Audio 20CD is an NTG 2.5 unit - you need a small conversion lead, and a few other bits and pieces depending on what's installed in the car - this is the place to buy - don't worry he speaks perfect english. kabeldaviko.de - Adapterset NTG 2.5Y

Finally, you might need a bit of coding to get things like phone etc. visible in your cluster - there are plenty of people around who can do this, but my advice is install it first and see if you need anything done.

While you're on, take out your CD Changer along with the fixing bits and flog it on e-bay as it won't work with the new Comand unit.

I'm not sure of exactly what I have then! It's a single cd player with in dash multi changer and phone kit preinstalled. The phone kit shows up on dash ok but i dont have a nokia to try it with yet. The sub is on the rear parcel shelf, not sure how it is powered but sounds good for stock.

At this stage all I want is DVD and mp3 functionality whilst hopefully retaining everything else as it is. Is the ntg 2.5 the best bet then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom