Very rough building costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiley

MB Enthusiast
just very early days looking at a couple of projects

1. build a new double garage - on area currently garden so needs ground works as well - will allow for slightly oversize say 25 feet by 20 feet
2. second floor extension on top of ground floor area currently flat roof - about 15 feet by 15 feet. Second floor extension would be pitch roof to match the rest of the house.

These are just first thoughts - would be interested in very rough building costs - for # 2 both if the ground floor footings would support the second floor and if they would not - in this case I assume it means knocking down and re-building the existing single storey construction?

10 years ago I had a garage built on what was part of our back garden. It was approx 10K (not including planning fee's and other bits and bobs) I have been told it would now cost in the region of 20K for a similar garage. It is 25 x 25 feet in dimension with a pitch roof which is tiled.

We just built a dbl garage 6m by 6m roller door blockwork and render with a tiled barn-end roof. I project managed it via subbies and got it done for about £15.5k. Flat roof would be cheaper, but of course some of my staff pitched in from time to time.
In terms of the extension, dependent where you live, work on around £1000/m2 as a totally rough guide. Finish, drainage and services, access, ground conditions all play their part.

We just built a dbl garage 6m by 6m roller door blockwork and render with a tiled barn-end roof. I project managed it via subbies and got it done for about £15.5k. Flat roof would be cheaper, but of course some of my staff pitched in from time to time.
In terms of the extension, dependent where you live, work on around £1000/m2 as a totally rough guide. Finish, drainage and services, access, ground conditions all play their part.

thanks

is the £1,000 per sq m for a 2 storey build - or do i count both floors sq m to work the cost out?

thanks

is the £1,000 per sq m for a 2 storey build - or do i count both floors sq m to work the cost out?

You count both floors, so a 30m^2 footprint = 60m^2. :(

Depending where you are (and how much the building trade is in the doldrums or not), you might currently get quotes a bit lower than £1000/m^2 at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom