Vito W639 Turbo Replacement Walkthrough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haymaker999

Car
Mercedes Vito '56 Plate 111cdi
Hi all
I've owned 2 Vitos a 2004 and now a '56 plate. I've increased the amount of maintenance I've been doing on my own cars / vans....in a bid to save money and get the satisfaction of doing the work myself...so appreciate the wealth of experience in these forums (I'm not a mechanic just tend to buy a good quality tool for the job and have ck sequently built up my ****nal and increased my confidence in tackling bigger and trickier jobs)...

Now onto the big ask!

Could anyone walk through how to replace a turbo?

I have a new reconditioned turbo (with actuator) ready to replace my failed unit (apparently according to the diagnostic, forum reading and gut feeling, the actuator has failed but since the actuator is paired with the turbo it seems like replacing the turbo and actuator is the best method)....I can't find any youtube vids or guides for turbo replacement anywhere???

Please, sOme forum legend, HELP!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

I replaced the turbo core years ago.
I couldn't provide a walk through as mainly it's suck and see as you remove this and that.

Be prepared for snapping rusted exhaust bolts.
Be ready for bolts awkward as 'eck that need lots of force.
Lots of time working from below.
Order a new set of knuckles.
There is additional cost allowance for contributions to the swear box.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. Always useful to know what I'm up against. Sounds like fun. Car maintenance and swearing go hand in hand for me. I need to learn some more vocabulary!!

Car maintenance and swearing go hand in hand for me. I need to learn some more vocabulary!!
Try these sentences.

Ouch! You bleep.
C'mon you bleep.
Where the bleep has that nut gone?
This bleep is gettin' in me nerves now.
If it doesn't come this time I'm gonna scrap the bleep.

Apologies to anyone that finds my language offensive.
Even the bleepin' van won't speak to me after I've given it a mouthful.

Just count your blessings it isn't a V6 - I needed the manifolds and turbo replacing on mine, and step 1 is "remove the engine & gearbox".

Just count your blessings it isn't a V6 - I needed the manifolds and turbo replacing on mine, and step 1 is "remove the engine & gearbox".
Aside from really tight turbo tower bolts, in the bottom of the V,
the turbo was nice and easy to remove on my earlier C320..

Hi all
I've owned 2 Vitos a 2004 and now a '56 plate. I've increased the amount of maintenance I've been doing on my own cars / vans....in a bid to save money and get the satisfaction of doing the work myself...so appreciate the wealth of experience in these forums (I'm not a mechanic just tend to buy a good quality tool for the job and have ck sequently built up my ****nal and increased my confidence in tackling bigger and trickier jobs)...

Now onto the big ask!

Could anyone walk through how to replace a turbo?

I have a new reconditioned turbo (with actuator) ready to replace my failed unit (apparently according to the diagnostic, forum reading and gut feeling, the actuator has failed but since the actuator is paired with the turbo it seems like replacing the turbo and actuator is the best method)....I can't find any youtube vids or guides for turbo replacement anywhere???

Please, sOme forum legend, HELP!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Did you get the turbo off ? I'm having a nightmare with mine

I thought same, but tbh I wasn't sure the 120 was the V6.
Anyways this should be a big help

It was for the inlet port shut off motor on a C320 CDI (2005), not all relevant but the turbo was removed to get to it.

Unfortunately access is pretty tight on the V6:

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom