W113K sudden power loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perrysock

Car
CLS55 AMG
Hello
Last week I experienced power loss on WOT with my car. It happened few times during 300 km drive in the wet/raining conditions. I noticed the Kompressor disengaged very harsh during acceleration/overtaking(but not every time). During one of those disengagement’s the kompressor belt slipped off and got the message for ESP malfunction.
Other than that no messages or warnings what so ever.
Very strange to me.
Today in the dry I attempted to replicate the issue without success. Tried more then 15 WOTs from high and low speeds.
My intercooler water pump was changed 2 years ago with Bosch 010. No issues since, I dynoed
the car few times and quite often I drive it spiritedly.
Please if someone could chime some advice on why the kompressor desenaged abruptly in wet without any faults on the dash.
Will appreciate you input.

My guess would be that the high moisture content of the intake air might have something to do with it. It possibly meant that the operating parameters of the kompressor were exceeded as flagged by its sensors causing it drop out. I believe that these Lysholm twin-screw, positive displacement kompressors are made by KLEEMANN Kleemann Mercedes Superchargers | Mercedes M113 (V8) 430/500/43/55 KLEEMANN Supercharger System
Weird things happen when you compress air and water as illustrated by this crude experiment .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Scientifically its probably all explained by the Mollier diagram. Richard Mollier was a German professor of Applied Physics and Mechanics in Göttingen and Dresden, a pioneer of experimental research in :eek: thermodynamics, :eek: particularly for water, steam, and moist air.
You have been warned!;)
Mollier Diagram
AirPsychrometricChart.gif

That means in UK all Mercedes 55K can’t drive spirited on weto_O
I’ll try next time it rains
Thanks for the research and full explanation.
I am amazed:)

Does sound like the Intercooler pump issue, But you have had that done. Is it mapped? i got this a little until i fitted a Larger HE problem sorted lol.

its mapped. I bought the same HE, but never got around installing it.
I’ll try next week, as I need to relocate engine oil cooler. Then will try WOT in wet

I wouldn't rule out the intercooler pump until you've had it and the accompany relay double-checked.

Today did not happened in dry conditions. Power was consistently there, few WOT one after another more than 15.
I will check the relay and pump again.
Thanks Bobby

Certainly the pump is the first thing to look at, even if its only two years old. A remap = more heat as you are aware.

You have a lot of WOT moments Bobby:D

In 4.5 years of owning mine I have had the foot to the floor on only 3 occasions.
I find it plenty fast enough without full throttle.;)

Hi,
My understanding is if the intercooler pump doesn't work or is down on it's cooling ability the *charger will only cut out* once you have taken you're foot off the throttle and then put it down again almost immediately, and then once the temperature returns to normal so does the charger.
*The charger doesn't actually cut out as such its the ECU that advances/retards the engine timing, effectively reducing performance/boost*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom