W205 and the Nextbase 512G

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob mushroom

So, I have the camera and go to Halfords for a hardwire kit.... they offer to fit for £10..Deal.

The 'fitter' then proceeds to say that he cannot hardwire to the passenger side fuse box as they are all live. Surely thats what I want so it captures any details whilst I am parked.

No Sir... that will just drain your battery!!

oh... So it cannot be hardwired for parking mode. - "NO!"

This cannot be true surely!!

Can anyone share some insight as to how I can hardwire the dash cam for parking mode?

Thanks

From what I can see that cam does not have support for parking mode.

it can, but your battery may well be flat after a day or so.

I have my own dashcam wired up to a switched live. The built in battery(capacitor) records for a few seconds if the G sensor is activated without power, but otherwise its recording when I drive, and not when the car is off.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses markmifsud appreciated.

As all my fuses appear to be constant live, rather than switched live, it would appear that the camera may need to be returned and another considered as I cannot afford a flat battery.

Does seem very strange that there are no switch to live fuses in the passenger well.

you will have switched feeds elsewhere, the cigarette lighter socket is switched.

May be worth checking to see if you have battery protection on your car, - see if the glovebox light turns off after around 20-30 minutes.
I did this on the Jeep and the cam starts recording as soon as I unlock the car, and carries on recording for 25 mins after I lock it.
Not huge, but it covers a short stop for shopping etc.

Also a handy place to hide and terminate the cable.

Ted said:
May be worth checking to see if you have battery protection on your car, - see if the glovebox light turns off after around 20-30 minutes. I did this on the Jeep and the cam starts recording as soon as I unlock the car, and carries on recording for 25 mins after I lock it. Not huge, but it covers a short stop for shopping etc. Also a handy place to hide and terminate the cable.
thanks I will give this a look

That doesn't sound right that there is power constantly going to the fuse board.

I have the Nextbase 512G on my W204 wired to the fuse board in the boot and it turns on when I start the ignition and turns of about 30 second after I turn the ignition off and remove the key.

I wired my dashcam to the back of the "cigarette lighter" socket in the glovebox to get a switched supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom