W205 C Class Auxiliary Battery Malfunction warning - Beware of dealership incorrect charges if under Mercedes Extended Warranty !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vijilants

MB Enthusiast
Car
W205 C43 AMG
Folks,

Thought I'd post my recent experiece as a warning to all, and to be aware of this issue. I will not be naming the dealership but they are not one of the franchised branches and is the official Mercedes Benz dealership.

On my W205 C Class C43 I recently had the "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction" warning pop up on the dash. After doing some research I found that my car does not have an auxiliary battery but has a votage regulator in the footwell that is known to go faulty and cause this warning.

So I booked it in with the dealership as my car is under an extended warranty.

I recieved a call after diagnosis to state that the aux battery was faulty and this is not coverred under the warranty. I then argued that the car does not have a aux battery but has a voltage regulator and asked if they had spoken with the warranty people and the reply was "yes and it is not covered". I then asked to speak to the service manager, and I was questioned as to why I need to speak to him. After insisting, I got a callback from the workshop manager rather than the service manager. he repeated the same as the previous guy.

So, I asked them to proceed and replace the part but advised him that I get 10% discount on parts and labour as I am a member of the official MB owners club. His reply was that he had worked there 6 years and had never heard of the Owners Club or any discounts. I then insisted that he speaks to the parts department as what he was saying was incorrect. He came back to me stating that yes I was entitled to the 10% on parts and labour.

Later in the day I collecred the care after it was repaired and paid a bill of £400 which included a 10% discount.

The following morning I contacted the Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty department to confirm the issue regarding the regulator and as to why it was not covered. They told me that the dealership had never contacted them and furthermore the part IS covered as it is not a battery and advised me to call the dealership and ask them to contact the warranty department.

As we all probably know, calling a dealership service department is near impossible, so I drove down there, explained the situation to the receptionist and again asked to speak to the service manager. The person that deals with warranty claimsfor the dealership then appeared and said that they have looked into this, remembered the conversaion in the office regarding this the previous day and sheepishly told me that the part IS covered and they will give me a full refund and blamed it on Xmas and lack of staff !!!

I really don't know what Xmas as to do with poorly trained staff but I was not happy and expressed it, and I said I wish to raise a compaint, to which I was told that he would raise the issue and someome would get back to me.....so far I'm still waiting, but that doesn't surprise me.

Now this particular fault of Auxiliary Battery Malfunction is a fairly common issue, and I hate to think of the number of people that have been incorretly charged by this and other dealerships when their car has been under an extended warranty.

So, if this fault occurs on your car, research your car to find out if your vehicle does or does not have an aux battery fitted and don't take a "not covered" answer from the dealership if your car has a voltage regulator and not an aux barttery.

The part no in question that goes faulty is A205 905 34 14. If you don't have a warranty, it is an easy fix and takes 20 - 30 min max to replace.

Hope this helps.

I've had this sort of thing with other manufacturers and dealerships would rather get the customer to pay than have the bother of making a warranty claim and getting then getting a lower payment from the manufacturer warranty.

The service department doesn't care that you're not happy as they're completely decoupled from sales.

Sorry to hear of your experience, and well done for persevering.

I had a not-too-dissimilar experience a few years back with a Vauxhall Omega that developed a fault that was a known issue (resulting from wrong manufacturer service schedule - long story), it happened a couple of months after the warranty expired, the car had full FMDSH but the service manager at the dealer (West End Vauxhall in London) said that there was no way that Vauxhall will cover the repair cost in full or in part, so I paid up, then wrote a polite letter to Vauxhall HQ in Luton explaining the situation, and received a check in the post for 75% of the cost, no questions asked. The conclusion is that some dealers just can't be ar$ed to contact the manufacturer....

(PS - I think the correct terminology for the auxiliary "battery" on the W205 is actually capacitor)

Sorry to hear of your experience, and well done for persevering.

(PS - I think the correct terminology for the auxiliary "battery" on the W205 is actually capacitor)

Thank you.

The part is known as a voltage regulator on the MB parts system but they also call it a Pawl Park Capicitor against the labour charges on the invoice but a voltage convertor against the part number on the invoice.

If you look inside the small unit, it contains a couple of small low voltage eletrolytic capacitors, an IC and a few components on a small PCB.

Definately not classed as a battery.

I very much doubt that I am the first person to go to the dealership with a car that is covered under an extended warranty with the same issue, so it is worrying that there is the possibility that they have been getting away with this for some time.

They assume that none of the public know anything about the workings of cars, so they can say whatever they want to say and it will wash. The fact of the matter is that that either they were ripping me off or they know nothing about the component that they are replacing !

The general attitude also leaves a lot to be desired, but then again, we all know about that story and nothing has changed over the years.

Last edited:
fyi in case you need to make another claim on your extended warranty....this is the list of items that are NOT covered by it.
You were lucky to find something that is covered.
From the MB documentation:

What is not covered?

Claims for mechanical or electrical failure of covered parts if the failure is due to wear and tear. Bodywork, body seals (including any convertible roof, boot, sunroof, doors and so on), fixings and fastenings (nuts, bolts, brackets, studs, clips and springs (other than suspension springs )), glass, interior and exterior trim, interior panels, paint, lamp units and wheels. Any failure that is caused by the insured vehicle overheating. This is not regarded as a mechanical failure under the terms of this insurance.

We do not cover the following parts. • Air cleaners • Any seal, gasket or sealant • Auxiliary belts • Batteries - non-HV and auxiliary batteries • Bonnet, boot and fuel-flap release cables • Brake friction material and discs and drums • Brake pipes and brake hoses • Clutch assemblies, clutch fork, release bearings, pressure plate and carrier plate • Clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder • Core plugs • Distributor caps • Drive shaft and steering rack gaiters • Electrical connection blocks, terminals and fuses • Exhaust system, muffler, heat shields and exhaust pipes • Fuel filters • Gearbox, axle and drive line mountings • Handbrake and parking brake cables • Hinges • Hoses and pipes (non-metal), hose clips and connectors (not including coolant hoses) • HT leads • Light bulbs and LED bulbs (except xenon bulbs) • Navigation CDs, DVDs and SD cards • Oil filters and gaskets • PAS high-pressure hoses or pipes • Pollen and odour filters • Reprogramming or software updates unless these are needed as part of a repair to a covered part or will solve the complaint or fault. We will only pay for one hour's work • Shock absorbers and suspension struts • Spark plugs • Sunroof cables, convertible cables, convertible roof material and straps • Tyres • Wheels • Wiper blades • Wiring and wiring looms

"We will only pay for one hour's work"
Wow! Still you'd struggle to find anything to claim on outside of that list to even spend your 1 hours labour on!

I think I can add to your list of ‘not covered under extended warranty’. My 6 year old w205 was into the dealer last week because we've been experiencing noise from the front near side (admittedly it’s sounds like wind). Dealer tells me the front side windows need replacing with ‘acoustic’ glass @ £900 NOT Covered by warranty because that only covers original parts, not improved parts — I think they make it up as they go along.
Too many decades behind me now to go rolling around under cars but a quick look yesterday (with photos) shows the engine under-tray hanging down on nearside which must scoop in a huge amount of air.
They certainly put their heart and sole into resolving that problem, easier to tell a story about warranties.

My 6 year old w205 was into the dealer last week because we've been experiencing noise from the front near side (admittedly it’s sounds like wind). Dealer tells me the front side windows need replacing with ‘acoustic’ glass @ £900 NOT Covered by warranty because that only covers original parts, not improved parts — I think they make it up as they go along.

I can also confirm that the W205 does suffer from wind noise from the front windows, however I was unaware that the had changed the glass type to a later type to rectify this issue.

"We will only pay for one hour's work"
Wow! Still you'd struggle to find anything to claim on outside of that list to even spend your 1 hours labour on!
Thats one hour for Reprogramming or software updates.....not repairs in general.

I can also confirm that the W205 does suffer from wind noise from the front windows, however I was unaware that the had changed the glass type to a later type to rectify this issue.
I agree, it’s not every car, but it is well documented. My argument was, why would my 6 year old car which has never shown any noise, suddenly develop wind noise after a service. I think the problem is they are given so little time to investigate issues that they opt for an easy let out as in the op’s auxiliary battery. For the record, I’m delighted with the car just feel it was a wasted investigation. Apparently new glass is two sheets bonded together approx £75 per side. MB fitting brings it up to £900+

fyi in case you need to make another claim on your extended warranty....this is the list of items that are NOT covered by it.
You were lucky to find something that is covered.
From the MB documentation:

What is not covered?

Claims for mechanical or electrical failure of covered parts if the failure is due to wear and tear. Bodywork, body seals (including any convertible roof, boot, sunroof, doors and so on), fixings and fastenings (nuts, bolts, brackets, studs, clips and springs (other than suspension springs )), glass, interior and exterior trim, interior panels, paint, lamp units and wheels. Any failure that is caused by the insured vehicle overheating. This is not regarded as a mechanical failure under the terms of this insurance.

We do not cover the following parts. • Air cleaners • Any seal, gasket or sealant • Auxiliary belts • Batteries - non-HV and auxiliary batteries • Bonnet, boot and fuel-flap release cables • Brake friction material and discs and drums • Brake pipes and brake hoses • Clutch assemblies, clutch fork, release bearings, pressure plate and carrier plate • Clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder • Core plugs • Distributor caps • Drive shaft and steering rack gaiters • Electrical connection blocks, terminals and fuses • Exhaust system, muffler, heat shields and exhaust pipes • Fuel filters • Gearbox, axle and drive line mountings • Handbrake and parking brake cables • Hinges • Hoses and pipes (non-metal), hose clips and connectors (not including coolant hoses) • HT leads • Light bulbs and LED bulbs (except xenon bulbs) • Navigation CDs, DVDs and SD cards • Oil filters and gaskets • PAS high-pressure hoses or pipes • Pollen and odour filters • Reprogramming or software updates unless these are needed as part of a repair to a covered part or will solve the complaint or fault. We will only pay for one hour's work • Shock absorbers and suspension struts • Spark plugs • Sunroof cables, convertible cables, convertible roof material and straps • Tyres • Wheels • Wiper blades • Wiring and wiring looms
Compare this to BMW used car warranty, the difference is considerable. They cover more or less everything that isn’t wear and tear. Our X1 got a new battery without any quibbling.

Compare this to BMW used car warranty, the difference is considerable. They cover more or less everything that isn’t wear and tear. Our X1 got a new battery without any quibbling.
And the Lexus one is the same as BMW, everything included except wear and tear. My bet is that most buyers of the MB extended warranty don't read the terms - they reasonably expect that a "premium" extended warranty would include everything except wear and tear. The mb one is more like the chocolate teapot 3 month "warranty" from a small time used car trader.

I took out the 3 year extended warranty when I bought my C Class, I happily haven’t had to use it yet, God that’s tempting fate isn’t it! It runs out in the summer and I won’t be renewing it. After reading the above posts it’s confirmed my decision.

And the Lexus one is the same as BMW, everything included except wear and tear. My bet is that most buyers of the MB extended warranty don't read the terms - they reasonably expect that a "premium" extended warranty would include everything except wear and tear. The mb one is more like the chocolate teapot 3 month "warranty" from a small time used car trader.
We had a whole thread about what people should expect from a warranty. Apparently not having anything covered is acceptable….,

Both my wife and daughters used Nissans got their batteries replaced under warranty because stop start did not work on either of them.

I took out the 3 year extended warranty when I bought my C Class, I happily haven’t had to use it yet, God that’s tempting fate isn’t it! It runs out in the summer and I won’t be renewing it. After reading the above posts it’s confirmed my decision.
Out of interest did you read the warranty terms before you decided to buy it? Or just assumed that it would be "gold plated, cover everything"?

You would have to be pretty daft to assume that....I worked selling cars (new and used) for about 17 years and I never saw a warranty that came even close to covering everything. Even on brand new cars there are exclusions.

warranties are a product. they are sold to make profit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom