W210 E class totally dead; how to bring back to life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Hiya, advice needed please. Have a W210 E class. It has been sat in driveway untouched for about 1y. SORN, untaxed etc

A few questions

1. how does one get rid of a car that is dead? Never done this before
2. if I wanted to bring it back to life, how? I connected a CTEK battery charger onto it over night but remains dead. The battery was a cheap one put in at ECP about 3-4y ago

Thanks for any guidance

In terns of getting rid check online for local car recylcing. Most will offer you a scrap value based on the current price of steel

Most collect.

As for getting it started ; the first thing will be a healthy and fully charged battery. The one fitted may have died due to age and discharge.

Can you attach jump leads from another car etc?

Often cars are laid up off road for a reason. Maybe a few enquiries to the previous owner would help you with the no-start puzzle.

Mercedes 210's were offered with many different engines. Do you know which flavour you have? A e300 turbodiesel model for example has an OM606 engine with a high used value because it is often used for transplants into old G wagons.

Have you checked for rust? 210's like to rust. Everywhere. Probably the biggest factor in putting the car back on the road. The dvla mot history checker online may help you here. Best of luck 210's are lovely cars.

Hiya, advice needed please. Have a W210 E class. It has been sat in driveway untouched for about 1y. SORN, untaxed etc

A few questions

1. how does one get rid of a car that is dead? Never done this before
2. if I wanted to bring it back to life, how? I connected a CTEK battery charger onto it over night but remains dead. The battery was a cheap one put in at ECP about 3-4y ago

Thanks for any guidance

What model W210 is it?

As above, new battery first as even a CTek won't revive a year old flat battery.
It may need some fresh fuel to start it as well.

Sounds like a waste to scrap such a low mileage nice car. Why not get it towed to your closest MB indy & let them have a go at diagnosing & fixing it. If it's terminal call the scrapyard to collect from there.

Gotta be fuel or spark related surely?

Begin by connecting either a fully charged battery, or a trickle charger with a decent maximum output, say 5A, to it, and see if the dash lights up when you turn the key. If so, the problem is almost certainly the battery.

You will have the M112 engine with two spark plugs per cylinder and three valves per cylinder- two inlet and one exhaust. If it has sat a couple years--- before attempting to turn the engine over on a starter remove all the spark plugs[clean them up and check their appearance noting which cylinder they came from] and pour a little engine oil into all the cylinders- let that sit overnight or for a couple of days. Then turn the engine over by hand to break any stiction on the piston rings. then try cranking it over on the starter with a new battery after disabling the fuel pump- which will by this time be full of clean fuel since you have drained the tank of the old stuff ? then replace the plugs enable the fuel pump and see if she offers to fire----that all assuming that the car was a runner when it was laid up?????????????

Stale fuel is overstated. On a lawnmower with a vented cap, yes. On a modern car with sealed fuel system - not so much. The petrol that fired up my Chevy this morning (first turn of the key after being idle for the guts of a fortnight) is at least 20 months old.

If I was concerned about the engine being a bit tight I'd get a socket on the nose of the crank and if it turns through a quarter turn - good to go.

Ok, sorry for late reply. New battery in place. Started first time. Power setting mega stiff. Needed to move it about 10m. After that, opened the bay. Serpentine belt is shredded. Need to have that replaced. Does this mean the head gasket may have blown?

Ok, sorry for late reply. New battery in place. Started first time. Power setting mega stiff. Needed to move it about 10m. After that, opened the bay. Serpentine belt is shredded. Need to have that replaced. Does this mean the head gasket may have blown?
Nothing that drastic!

On an M112 engine a shredded belt will more than likely be down to the belt tensioner or idler pulley seizing, they're prone for the bearings to collapse. Not an expensive or difficult job.

So it’s not like a VW where the belt going is like catastrophic? Seems this belt runs multiple systems including PAS. AC etc.

So it’s not like a VW where the belt going is like catastrophic? Seems this belt runs multiple systems including PAS. AC etc.
You may be mistaking a cam belt with an aux belt. Your engine is chain driven so has no cam belt. Aux meaning auxillary components, as above running the PAS, AC and water pump. The water pump not working would be the issue to be aware of (overheating) if the aux, or serpentine, belt is shredded. Do not run the engine for too long or keep an eye on the temp guage when the engine is running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom