W210 E320CDI Engine Transplant - Do-able?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MeanRedSpider

Car
W211 E320CDI Alfa Romeos
My parents have, unfortunately, managed to "hydraulic" the engine on their 02 E320CDI - floodwater under a railway bridge - had no idea that it was so deep.

This is particularly sad because their car is immaculate inside and out.

In the meantime, we have a 2001 Y reg E320CDI, which, as far as I can tell, is absolutely identical save for the colour. Ours, however, is far more "used" inside (because it has been far more used - 2 dogs and 3 kids and motor racing etc etc used)

A plan I'm hatching is to transplant the engine (and maybe gearbox) from one to the other depending upon what value the insurance company put on the written-off car (they have, already, written it off).

My question is relatively simple: what sort of a job is an engine transplant on these cars? I'd describe myself as a very competent DIY mechanic - I prepare and maintain my own race car (albeit 60's/70's technology) but I know that swapping a modern engine can be an epic spannering job. Is keeping the gearbox attached a help or a hinderance? I've towed my race car a fair bit with our car so I'm sure that will have taken a bit of a toll on the 'box.

Finally, would I be better just pulling the good bits off the written-off car and generally breaking it for spares?

Both cars are reasonably rust-free (following extensive Mercedes warranty work) and both have done a shade over 110k miles.

Thanks (and happy new year)

Richard

Just a straight swap is very striaght forward. It should take you 6-8 hours at DIY standard.

Cool - is there any guidance anywhere on the order of events that will help me up the learning curve? What to leave attached and where to split etc? Since I'll be pulling two out (donor and patient) any tips will save me double the time.

Thx

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom