W211 should there be foglights at rear on both sides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my opinion rear fogs should only be used in VERY poor visability in order to stop cars driving into the back of you because they have not seen you (otherwise following cars are 1) dazzled unnecessarily 2) confused by the "braking traffic ahead" or "rear fogs deployed" issue). If you can see 5 cars ahead and are being followed by at least one car behind, what is the point of having them on?
On the original question of one or two, if a following driver sees a red light in dense fog, RED = Danger = Stop ....whereas 2RED = Danger = Stop OR wider vehicle further without rear fogs!?? Better make this a quick correct decision!
So 1 better than 2 :eek:) (unless one fails! - but Mercs have bulb failure warning lamp)

Something amazing happened today. I was following a Nissan Micra that had its rear fog light on for no reason I could see. So I gave the driver a single flash of my headlights - and within 2 or 3 seconds they'd switched the offending foglight off, so the driver must at least have been semi-alert.

Something amazing happened today. I was following a Nissan Micra that had its rear fog light on for no reason I could see. So I gave the driver a single flash of my headlights - and within 2 or 3 seconds they'd switched the offending foglight off, so the driver must at least have been semi-alert.

Lucky you, if it wasn't a Nissan Micra, the driver would probably have jumped out and punched your nose! Such are the drivers on our roads today.

Russ

What sort of duration was the single flash? I have tried all combinations on these people, and can't find a reliable way of informing them of their obvious forgetfulness.

What sort of duration was the single flash? I have tried all combinations on these people, and can't find a reliable way of informing them of their obvious forgetfulness.

It was a fraction of a second, just on/off, not sustained or repeated. Just enough to catch the attention of a driver who has their wits about them, which this one clearly did. Having said that, even if drivers realise you're flashing them, most don't seem to be able to work out why.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a response to the first flash, as undulations in the road surface can produce the same effect as a flash, which I why I was amazed that it seemingly did the trick (unless it was just coincidence). Had it not, I would have tried a double flash in quick succession, and if that hadn't worked I would have decided to either overtake or drop back some way, depending on the road conditions.

Lucky you, if it wasn't a Nissan Micra, the driver would probably have jumped out and punched your nose! Such are the drivers on our roads today.

:crazy: I think that sort of thing only happens in Kent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom