W211 towbar wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lakey800

Car
E320
Hi there just wondering if any body could help I’ve got a w211 with led lights at the rear and a single wiring for the side light / brake light and my bypass relay won’t pick up the voltage change has any managed to find a way round this as mb have stopped supplying the wiring kit

thank you

The bypass just uses a single wire for a dual bulb system.

So in other words one wire from the lamp to the brake wire of the bypass relay, leave the side lamp wire of the relay disconnected

Attachments

• B5EF9CF6-21A9-4398-889E-6D202886AFEB.jpeg
    B5EF9CF6-21A9-4398-889E-6D202886AFEB.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 17
I have wired it up like this and all I get are brake lights constantly when the light are turned on and as brake lights when there are off the led light only change .4 of a voltage from side light to brake light the relay is not noitcing a change

Can't help with the bypass relay but dedicated is simply plug and play, very simple to install.

Can't help with the bypass relay but dedicated is simply plug and play, very simple to install.
I tried the relay system, and same issue as Lakey. So I contacted the local MB dealership to enquire if the dedicated kit would need coding, and they said yes, it does, but we dont do it...so back to the so called "smart Relay". Now I have the brake lights and indicators only working on the trailer ( and its ok as I dont plan on any night trailering.) What I think that I will have to do now for the brakelights is to connect the relay trigger wire to the 3rd brakelight in the rear window, and take the trigger for the park lights from the Nr plate light. And as I dont have a wiring diagram available, I will have to do a lot of dismantling ( rear seats and parcel shelf, boot lid inner trim etc. ) Which I dont like having to do, but with the longer daylight hours and some improvement in the weather is encouraging me to do it. You had to code yours Pat, with Star, I wonder will the iCarsoft CR-Pro be capable of doing it ?

The bypass just uses a single wire for a dual bulb system.

So in other words one wire from the lamp to the brake wire of the bypass relay, leave the side lamp wire of the relay disconnected
How does that work? I understand the single feed to the rear brake / light bulb. Once the lights are on, its a continous feed, which is amplified to increase the light, giving you the brake light, when the brake is pressed,,,,thats clear. This same wire is connected to the relay, which if I understand it, taps into the brake light cable and diverts some power to the park lights? Meaning that from the relay out to the trailer, the Brake and Park will need to be connected individually?

bump looking at this as mate having difficulties with electrics on his 211

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom