W213 Suspension Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OJLane

Car
E350d, E350 CDI sold on at 357,000 miles, C270 is sadly no longer with us, chewed a glow plug :-(
Evening all,

Having a bit of trouble with my suspension on my E350d. A couple of days ago on the motorway I had a message come up, car with up arrow and 'Malfunction, See Owner's Manual'.

I plugged in my iCarsoft reader and it showed 'The Left Front Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit' I went out to it yesterday and it seemed to have dropped a little at the rear (about 4cm gap between wheel and arch) so I am now leaving the rear jacked up as the front seems to have raised a little.

After doing some digging today and more code reading it is now showing all control valves faulty not just the front left. I'm wondering if it may be the valve block? Or is it likely to be something else? My car is my work so really need it sorted as soon as possible but can't currently afford to just throw many £100s in parts. I can't imagine it would be a strut as it is now showing faults on all corners? Could a faulty compressor cause this somehow as that has not come on since? My thinking is that the compressor is not activating due to system protection shut down but don't know. Is there another control module somewhere?

It's showing the same fault in ADS and ELC although only the rear is showing in ELC.

Many thanks,

Ollie

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Evening all,

Having a bit of trouble with my suspension on my E350d. A couple of days ago on the motorway I had a message come up, car with up arrow and 'Malfunction, See Owner's Manual'.

I plugged in my iCarsoft reader and it showed 'The Left Front Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit' I went out to it yesterday and it seemed to have dropped a little at the rear (about 4cm gap between wheel and arch) so I am now leaving the rear jacked up as the front seems to have raised a little.

After doing some digging today and more code reading it is now showing all control valves faulty not just the front left. I'm wondering if it may be the valve block? Or is it likely to be something else? My car is my work so really need it sorted as soon as possible but can't currently afford to just throw many £100s in parts. I can't imagine it would be a strut as it is now showing faults on all corners? Could a faulty compressor cause this somehow as that has not come on since? My thinking is that the compressor is not activating due to system protection shut down but don't know. Is there another control module somewhere?

It's showing the same fault in ADS and ELC although only the rear is showing in ELC.

Many thanks,

Ollie

View attachment 135276

View attachment 135277

View attachment 135279

View attachment 135280
How quickly does the malfunction light come on?

It could be compressor is struggling to pump enough within the allotted time

How quickly does the malfunction light come on?

It could be compressor is struggling to pump enough within the allotted time
Thank you for replying, The malfunction is displayed pretty much immediately and the pump is not engaging at all. I’m thinking if it were an issue with the pump then I would get a different diagnostic message?

Thank you for replying, The malfunction is displayed pretty much immediately and the pump is not engaging at all. I’m thinking if it were an issue with the pump then I would get a different diagnostic message?
When the car is sat over night is it lower on any of the sides?

Yep you’d get a different error message for compressor but I am more curious as it says there is an open circuit so potentially could be a leak

Yep you’d get a different error message for compressor but I am more curious as it says there is an open circuit so potentially could be a leak
It doesn’t seem to be losing any height when left, so I would be very surprised if it was a leak. Also, if it were a leak with no other problem with the compressor, not be trying to make up for it?

While driving a few days ago, seems to have moved from the back to the front, lowering the back and raising the front. I now have about 4 cm wheel arch clearance on the back and around 7 to 8 cm at the front.

While driving a few days ago, seems to have moved from the back to the front, lowering the back and raising the front. I now have about 4 cm wheel arch clearance on the back and around 7 to 8 cm at the front.

Interesting that it has moved. If it has moved then I think the error is correct. It does seem the valve.

I'd still get checked on the star as there is a test for airmatic suspension on there.

Interesting that it has moved. If it has moved then I think the error is correct. It does seem the valve.

I'd still get checked on the star as there is a test for airmatic suspension on there.
Thank you, I think I will have to start chasing parts. Problem is around here, especially this time of year it’s probably going to be 2-3 weeks before I can get it onto a star, by that time I will have lost enough work to have paid for the valve block, compressor and more and then have to pay for whatever is wrong once I do get on it 🤔. I think I will try to source a valve block and see how that goes.
Are there any other control units that could be causing this?
Very strange that it is showing all of the valves, I would have thought it would just have been one.

Last edited:
Thank you, I think I will have to start chasing parts. Problem is around here, especially this time of year it’s probably going to be 2-3 weeks before I can get it onto a star, by that time I will have lost enough work to have paid for the valve block, compressor and more and then have to pay for whatever is wrong once I do get on it 🤔. I think I will try to source a valve block and see how that goes.
Are there any other control units that could be causing this?
Very strange that it is showing all of the valves, I would have thought it would just have been one.
if you need a genuine Valve block, I might have a one as I bougth one by mistake.
This a genuine Mercedes one)
Can you confirm the part code of your valve block or take a full picture ? thank you

Ignore me, your Valve Block has 6 connections as per the W221...Can you run a few leak tests just confirm a valve block fault? The valve blocks used to fail a bit on W22Os. but only after quite a few years or very high mileage

Hi All, thank you for your suggestions.
The issue now appears to be fixed by replacing the valve block.

The full list of codes on my iCarSoft reader were:-

In the ADS (Adaptive Damping System) section:
C153A13, The Left Front Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit.
C153D13, The Right Front Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit.
C154013, The Left Rear Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit.
C154313, The Right Front Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit.

In the ELC (Electric Level Control) section:
C154013, The Left Rear Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit.
C154313, The Right Front Level Control Valve Has A Malfunction. There Is An Open Circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom