W245 boot - falling off!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danclyon

Car
W245 B180 CDI w/COMAND
Wife was complaining about having troubles shutting the boot on her B - took a look last night and it looks like the bolt that comes through from the roof-space inside the head-lining has come undone and the left hinge is loose....amazing. This has to be the worst put-together car I've ever had the bad-luck of owning.

Short of a trip to the dealers and good old moan and hope they sort this out - anyone got any idea how had it is to get at?

Cheers,
Dan.

Wife was complaining about having troubles shutting the boot on her B - took a look last night and it looks like the bolt that comes through from the roof-space inside the head-lining has come undone and the left hinge is loose....amazing. This has to be the worst put-together car I've ever had the bad-luck of owning.

Short of a trip to the dealers and good old moan and hope they sort this out - anyone got any idea how had it is to get at?

Cheers,
Dan.

Update: SWMBO had to go to the dealers for main-beam bulbs as they both blew at the same time today so she asked them. They pointed out the two covers in the roof-space at the back that you can un-do to get at the bolt. Sadly it's not a bloody bolt though, it's a bespoke Merc star head (or it COULD be a Spline head but I've got no way of getting in there with something to measure it) so I can't tighten it up......it's going in for service next week and I'll ask them to do it then unless anyone can tell me where I can get the head for a socket set from?

Cheers,
Dan.

Last edited:
It will be either a regular Torx bolt or less likely a regular spline fitting.

Update: SWMBO had to go to the dealers for main-beam bulbs as they both blew at the same time today so she asked them. They pointed out the two covers in the roof-space at the back that you can un-do to get at the bolt. Sadly it's not a bloody bolt though, it's a bespoke Merc star head (or it COULD be a Spline head but I've got no way of getting in there with something to measure it) so I can't tighten it up......it's going in for service next week and I'll ask them to do it then unless anyone can tell me where I can get the head for a socket set from?

Cheers,
Dan.

Why didn't the dealership tighten them up for her?

Bit slack just showing her the bolts.

A good question. Why? Did she ask them?

Is the car still in warranty and did the dealer have time to tighten them?

Is the car still in warranty and did the dealer have time to tighten them?

They told her there was a cover over the bolts, and said since it was out of warranty (2005, but we've only had it for a year - bought from main dealer at Ipswich - had warranty etc) they would charge for looking at it, and she would be third in the queue to wait for things....so about 2 hours wait....

She brought the bulbs home to me to let me have a look, but I don't think it's anything in any of my tool-sets.....the bulbs were a right **** of a job too :)

Cheers,
Dan.

They didn't even show - they just said that the 2011 ones had a cover over the access to the bolts in the roof lining and the 2005 was probably the same...nothing more.

Might call them in the morning and find out what size bolt it is and just sort it out myself.

Cheers,
Dan.

It will be either a regular Torx bolt or less likely a regular spline fitting.

It's backwards then as the star sticks out rather than being recessed into the head. Could really do with getting in there with something to measure it, but can't through the 10p size gap you get - and I'm NOT messing about with head-linings for fun!!

Any idea what size it will be?

Cheers,
Dan.

So it's a star fitting. Just buy a set of female star sockets as that way you get a full range.

So it's a star fitting. Just buy a set of female star sockets as that way you get a full range.

Ahhh, not used to these new-fangled socket shapes - I'm used to things so small you need magnifying glasses to see them properly :) I'll have a gander at where I can get a set tomorrow.

Cheers buddy!
Dan.

^ Any motorists shops sell such tools, Halfords and GSF definitely.

^ Any motorists shops sell such tools, Halfords and GSF definitely.

Well as it happens, I found a socket set I was given a couple of years back and it appeared to have the right size in it - and the job is done. 8mm female Torx. HOWEVER, in a fit of efficiency, I've tightened up the size that was loose (with the wife supporting the door on it's hinge so it was in approximately the right location and now shuts like a dream) - but the same size bit doesn't fit on the bolt on the other side, which to the un-trained finger feels like someone has put it back on with the same bit and an air-line having completely mashed the head......strange that as the last person to work on the car was a main-dealer who had it for a week while replacing all the rear-wiper parts - wonder if they took the door off and didn't align it properly on the way back.....and then mashed a head for me in the process......

It's in for service in the next three weeks, and I'll get wifey to ask whether they would have removed the rear door to do the work as it would have been easier. If they have they can replace the bolts. Also re-aligned the rear bumper properly in the process...

Now time for a cuppa :)

Cheers guys,
Dan.

Just a quick follow up to this folks. The car was at the dealers today for regular service, and I asked them to look at it. They've pulled the bolts out, replaced them, threadlocked and re-torqued them for us - no charge.

Happy bunny as a result :)

Cheers,
Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom