What has happened to light blue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I was just looking on the Mercedes-Benz UK site and could not find a light metallic blue colour on the larger vehicles apart from Lazurite for the R-class

The funny thing is if you go onto the S-class range and select to see what the AMG skirts look like......... They show it on a light metallic blue vehicle (unless my eyes are playing tricks)

772_01.jpg

Why has this very nice colour been given the heave ho? :eek: :eek: Jasper is available on some models but that is not really a light blue.

Answers on a postcard to the CEO Mercedes-Benz

Funniest answer gets a nice tealite kiss:devil: :D

regards
John

Edit
I think Lazurite is only available on the SWB version

3149s.jpg

Last edited:
Light blue for light weight cars only .. so, no Mercedes qualifies, maybe except the A class.

I thought "I will show him" and picked up the Passenger car range book only to find that Jasper is the only blue in the book:eek:

Light blue for light weight cars only .. so, no Mercedes qualifies, maybe except the A class.

you will be in trouble for that! The droves of a-class supporter will want your blood now:devil:

Last edited:
Verstehen Sie?

After extensive market research Mercedes has determined there is very little demand for the colour "light blue metallic " in RHD drive cars. To paint the cars light blue would involve expensive re-engineering of certain components which would not be economical for such a small number of cars. The rest of the world can have light blue but not the UK. Verstehen Sie???:rolleyes:

however, for those who would like the standard light blue available in other markets, it is available to special order as a designo colour

After extensive market research Mercedes has determined there is very little demand for the colour "light blue metallic " in RHD drive cars. To paint the cars light blue would involve expensive re-engineering of certain components which would not be economical for such a small number of cars. The rest of the world can have light blue but not the UK. Verstehen Sie???:rolleyes:

I would like a designo 4matic E class please.;)

To be honest, I like light blue cars. Seen one that Lotus did on the elise and it was quite good. Could easily have bought it.

Ferrari do an excellant light blue too.

So do Skoda as it happens.

Ich verstehe nicht, entweder. :confused:

Lazurit blau mit Alpaca grau ist eine schöne Kombination!! :cool:

however, for those who would like the standard light blue available in other markets, it is available to special order as a designo colour
I hate to say it but I checked the Designo colour list and noticed the colour light blue by its absence.

As soon as I read Grober's reply, I thought, That's it then, I'll have a light blue S-class 4matic estate!":devil:

It's crazy that you can have a SWB R-class in light blue, but not a LWB and in fairness to us deprived UK residents I checked other Mercedes-Benz sites and used an E-class 350 4Matic estate to select colour choice :devil: :devil: or should that be color? There is no light blue anywhere. It is an 'ex' colour. It is deceased. Light blue is no longer available. Light blue has left the stage and we can now all have either black or silver or a shade of either :mad: :mad: :mad: Okay there might be a few other colours but I like to choose a colour I like and not be oner of a crowd. Anger, anger.

Regards
John

It is so easy to assume that if one country doesn't supply a certain type of vehicle then it is not available throughout the range and the World?

I have now found a nice S-class 320CDI 4Matic
3170s.jpg

This vehicle is available in that colour, with 4Matic, BUT.......... I have not found a 4.2CDI 4Matic.

Yes I've found a colour I might like?? Is it light blue? Andoritgrau but I would love the 4.2CDI oh and what about an estate? I wonder if Mercedes offer this option. :devil: ;)

Last edited:
I had a light blue metallic Granada Ghia ... nice car :)

Granada1.jpg

I think its the old chicken and egg story. Dealers/importers order "safe" colours into stock. What sells they ask---- silver and black ---RIGHT lets order some for the next quarter. Next customer comes in---I'd like a E class elegance in blue---- I'm sorry sir we haven't any in stock --you would have to wait a couple of months for a factory order--- but just come round to the compound ---we have a couple of beauties in one in Cubanite Silver and one in Obsidian Black---- AND SO ON!

Last edited:
I think its the old chicken and egg story. Dealers/importers order "safe" colours into stock. What sells they ask---- silver and black ---RIGHT lets order some for the next quarter. Next customer comes in---I'd like a E class elegance in blue---- I'm sorry sir we haven't any in stock --you would have to wait a couple of months for a factory order--- but just come round to the compound ---we have a couple of beauties in one in Cubanite Silver and one in Obsidian Black---- AND SO ON!

I think that Grober is correct,, when I ask why all of their stock SLs were so basic it was to make life simpler,, it you want a new one with extras then it can be ordered.

This does have side effects further down the line as on the ALFIE CONN thread, there are hardly any SLs out there second hand with anything.
The same will happen with colours and 90% of SLs were silver the rest black with the odd jasper/tansonite/topaz.

Well we just got back from a drive in our blue Vito, and I was very conscious (after reading this thread) of the huge number of light blue metallic cars around! There were simply loads, Honda, Peugeot, and Vauxhall seemed to be the main makes.

I'm still not clear why M-B would not even make this colour available as an option (which costs them nothing).

I'm still not clear why M-B would not even make this colour available as an option (which costs them nothing).

I think that the colours available can only be the ones used on on all of the cars made in those plants, and you cant just have one model using one colour

Well we just got back from a drive in our blue Vito, and I was very conscious (after reading this thread) of the huge number of light blue metallic cars around! There were simply loads, Honda, Peugeot, and Vauxhall seemed to be the main makes.

My own view is that it is a nice colour and I'm disappointed they have decided to discontinue it.

If it is not popular and is not selling then I can see the business sense of not offering it as an available option but why oh why is it not on the Designo card?

I think Grober has hit the nail on the head and dealerships are accidentally influencing what we allegedly like. Mercedes used to be very much a 'Come in and place an order sir' That way the customer ticked all the boxes and made the choices, now we are seeing dealers buying cars and then encouraging customers that they should like what is being shown to them :mad: :mad: I served my time in uniform and now much prefer to make my own choice and dislike being one of the crowd.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom