What polish/wax do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
I got a few tins of Meguiar’s from the USA (they sell it over here now) and it takes an age to use. Almost two days work with the wash, scrub, polish, wax and anything else if its needed.

The results are good (see below) but just wondered what polish/wax you use and how long it usually takes you.

It would be good to see any ‘shinning’ pics!

ml_shine.jpg

Hi

I use the Autoglym range, I was using "Mer" but heard some bad stuff about it so went back to Autoglym.

I use the Super Resin Polish and the Extra Gloss Protection

There are some pictures in the Members Gallery Section.

The shine shows best in the larger pictures.

Tan

I was recommened to use 'Mer' this weekend, but i'll cancel that one out now if you've stopped using it.

I have used Mer and found it was quick and easy to use with good results.

I used to be a fan of Autoglum but am now converted to Meguiars, I found the Cleaner wax hard to use and left alot of white residue. The Gold class wax is excellent, easy to use and gives a superb shine and depth.

I spent a day in the summer cleaning mine and used ScratchX to remove light swirls and Quick clay to make the bodywork as smooth as glass.

I now use Gold class wax at least once a month and the quick detailer in-between if the car is not too dirty.

Heres the proof::cool:

MercC180SideLow1.jpg

I've used Mer alot in the past and didn't really have any problems with it. I'd be interested in the details of the negative feedback too Tan.

Matt,

Although Mer doesn't sound as labour intensive as Meguiar’s the stuff was still pretty long winded to apply.

I stopped using it because I'm a lazy git and it could leave white residue/deposits on grey plastic exterior trim (I used to use it on my old white 190E). My current car only has grey plastic on the door handles whereas everything else is colour coded.

I use a combination of products but for the bodywax I use:

Zymol Wax (body)

z1.jpg

need I say more? :bannana:

I've used Mer alot in the past and didn't really have any problems with it. I'd be interested in the details of the negative feedback too Tan.

Matt,

I will try and find the details about the Mer.

Although I have stopped using it now it did appear to do a good enough job.

Tan

Don't fall into the common mistake of confusing wax and polish.

Polish (Mer/Autoglym etc) when applied will strip the paint of all impurities and small scratches, and take the bodywork back to it's paint (or rather lacquer), and hence looks nice and shiney and will 'bead' water. This basically takes it back to showroom 'new car' standard - large/deeper scratches excepted. Polish will have a resdiue, normally white, which is all the crap from the bodywork as well as the polish

Wax on the other hand is a wax coating which is applied onto the paintwork to protect it and deepen the shine (assuming the paintwork is cleaned etc first). Wax has no real residue and you apply, let it prove and simply buff the wax to get a shine.

The way to get the best shine is to polish the car then wax it. Use a good wax and it will leave the paintwork with a deep, glassy shine and will protect the paintwork giving it an almost telfon type property.

As to Mer - it is fine, the scare stories are only from people who can't tel the difference between polish and wax. HOWEVER, Mer is a more abbrasive polish, and is best used for getting surface sratches out rather than general polishing. It takes the paint right down leaving it quite exposed, and you should always wax after using Mer.

Autoglym is OK, but their wax (gloss protection or whatever it is called) is poor and there are far better waxes.

Zymol is good but damned expensive, Meguires is likewise. The best car cleaning products in my opinion are from 'The Wizard of Wax' - Mark Underwood. Used to be the UK importer for Zymol, before he set up himself and started blending his own products, which are superior and cheaper!! Mark blends wax for diferent makes of car as different manufacturers to suit their paints' make-up - you can therefore order Mercedes Wax for c£20/30 a tub which will last c 2years using it once every 4-6 weeks. I have no connection with Mark other than being a very satisfied customer for 4 years or more!

Last edited:
yes that is true but some synthetic polish's like Autoglym polish add a layer of protection on the car like a wax.

Wax will not adhere to those kind of polish's.

Wax does not last as long as synthetic polish/treatments but wax does offer a deeper more 'wetter' shine.

The choice is yours, people usually tend to stick with one thing but I guess if the weather is nice at the GTG we can all compare notes/samples.

The best way to avoid polish marks on plastic exterior trim is to do the plastic first.

You may want to clean the plastic first (use a special cleaner, lots of companies do these, or just tar and glue remover) and then apply a gel type plastic dressing (Autoglym do an excellent gel plastic dressing). Make sure you get a reasonable amount on.

Now polish/wax your car. Any polish that accidentaly gets onto the plastic can simply be wiped of afterwards, because the dressing is protecting the plastic, so the polish does not 'soak' into it.

Unfortunately the 'layer' a synthetic polish will leave will be all but removed by the polish itself.

The best course of action is to well polish your car just twice a year (Spring and Autumn) - this should be all it will need, then give it a double coat of wax straight after, then a single coat of wax every 6 weeks or so. Make sure you use only a detergent-free car shampoo to keep the wax in pristine condition and your car will never look better.

As for the plastic trim - wax that as well, wax is clear and will buff to give it an even matt finish as well as giving it 'Teflon' protection. You can't help getting Polish on the plactic - and don't forget, Polish is designed to remove wax/road-film etc, so pre-treating plastic won't work, the polish will just remove it!! Quality (clear liquid) bumper dressing/protector will remove polish over-run anyway!

Worth trying to get hold of Mark, he will normally be happy to come down to car 'functions' and give demonstrations of his products. I have his number somewhere, will see what I can do.

Another tip - wax your alloys, brake dust and road dirst will just rinse off!!

Mine's Autoglym -

autog1.jpg

More information than you need on cleaning, detailing etc is Here

I use CraftPol and Craft TradeCar Polish. Very happy with the lasting results, but it was only available to the trade.

Autoglym is good for a showroom environment, and the Extra Gloss no doubt makes you feel the effort was worth-while, but like other Autoglym products, does not seem to last long.

I like Zymol too (particularly effective on black paintwork, I found) and would be interested to know if Gary430 can let me know of his source for Mark Underwood?

Cheers

:bannana:

I tried many things, Autoglym, MER and loads of the more common varieties found at the local motor factor and then one day I found a really old tin of wax polish lurking in the back of the garage.

It was so old I could hardly make out the manufcturer coz the tin was all rusted up. I think its Simonez or something. Anyway I thought I would give it a try and this stuff must of fermented or condensed or something because its the business. I dunno what I am gonna do when it runs out.

Put it this way, I havent had the time to wash the car properly since a couple of weeks before the snow and the last wax I did was about four months ago but I go out to the car a few hours after the rain and most cars have been blown dry to a dull sheen cos the rain water was so thinly spread but mine is still covered in large beads of water - and thats after mebbe *four* months without a wax.

I used to use MER but found it hard to polish off and the results I thought were not worth the effort.

Auto Glym is easy to use although I found the High Gloss product a waste of money.

I now use Zymol after various people here suggested it.

The product is called Cleaner Wax and is very easy to use and if you do the final bit, which involves spraying a fine mist of water over the car. Then towel drying it.

This sets and evens the gloss, the results are truely amazing. The paintwork has a real wet look to it.

The ingredients are : Carnuaba wax, Bees wax, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Banana :bannana: and Coconut oil, Almond Meal.

So as you can see it's all natural stuff, and smells lovely :p .

I have had various people on the MBOC forum try it, and all say it's the best they've ever used.

Now what was the question again.

I thought I knew Mark's website, but it brought up a US candle maker so my memory must be going :(

I've got his mobile number at home somewhere - will dig it out and let you have it.

No, If I remember correctly Mark is the UK importer/concessionaire for Swissol products (hence a swissol email address), but only as part of his business interests. His main products are of his own 'blending' and are far superior to anything else I've ever tried both in ease of using and quality/durability.

Comparing Turtle Wax to Marks products is like extolling the merits of buying a Daewoo Leganza over a Merc! :crazy:

Last edited:
Perhaps this Mark would be interested in coming to the GTG to do a demo, it could be worthwhile for him, as I for one am always interested in treating my car to the best (affordable) polish/wax that I can easily get hold of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom