What real world mpg can I expect in w205 2017 amg line estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robdmarsh

Car
2017 w205 220d estate AMG line
Ok, I know that this question is like asking how long is a piece of string but I'd really like to know what kind of mpg I can expect. Really enjoying this car up to now: it seems to do everything well - comfort, ergonomics, practicality, low noise cruising, fantastic auto transmission etc, and I think I got a pretty good deal on my particular car. However, not sure up to now if it's going to achieve the great economy numbers that my w204 was achieving over the last 8000 miles of its time with me. I know that these figures on the trip computer may not be absolutely accurate but it's saying 53.5 for these 8000 miles and I can get over 650 miles on full tank if I'm careful. The new car (new for me) is not getting close to these numbers so far - I've got 41 mpg over 360 miles I've done in the car, and its mpg before that (presumably very short demo trips) is saying 38. It's looking promising though - when I'm doing 60 mph on a dual carriage way or A roads then I can see the potential.
Lovely car in every other way so far though.

Could it be that your W204 did not have it's ECU 're programmed' by Mercedes Benz where as the 205 might have had it done at some point. ?

Remember MB main dealers were doing this to countless cars , often without the owners permission.

MB removing their 'defeat software' did (on some cars) cause the fuel consumption to rise.

Could it be that your W204 did not have it's ECU 're programmed' by Mercedes Benz where as the 205 might have had it done at some point. ?

Remember MB main dealers were doing this to countless cars , often without the owners permission.

MB removing their 'defeat software' did (on some cars) cause the fuel consumption to rise.
Sorry not really understanding this. You're saying that MB's software update causes mpg to artificially rise? In the case of my w204 I've owned the car since May 2018 and it has never been serviced by Mercedes main dealership. One thing that I think I have noticed, however, is that mpg has improved since the DPF clean. The performance is not what it was (it doesn't have that real pull that it had from 40 to 70 mph) but mpg has improved. And no I'm not imagining it, as I said 650 miles is achievable on a full tank.

Yes , they were all at it , installing defeat software to con people into thinking their diesel cars were cleaner than they actually were.

When , with the help of the FBI the US government caught VW red handed they pushed to jail some VW executives , threatened to ban the sale of all VW , Audi , Porsche products in the USA then fined them close to $4 Billon and forced them to buy back their cars from conned customers.

All the other car manufacturers that saw what was happening $hat themselves and millions of MB's were recalled for 'safety updates' . These updates often took place without the owners knowledge.

While these were taking place it has been alleged that allegedly the allegedly dodgy software was replaced by something that would not result in prosecution (probably wouldnt have happend in Europe anyway , look who builds the cars) . Many owners found their cars ran differently and used more fuel .

The internet was full of it at the time , so was this forum.

The new car (new for me) is not getting close to these numbers so far - I've got 41 mpg over 360 miles I've done in the car, and its mpg before that (presumably very short demo trips) is saying 38.

FWIW our W205 estate is a C300 petrol and currently showing 37.2 mpg over the last 240 miles. Typically gives low/mid 30s on local driving up to mid 40s on a long run (46.3 is the highest so far, on a 160 mile motorway trip).

FWIW our W205 estate is a C300 petrol and currently showing 37.2 mpg over the last 240 miles. Typically gives low/mid 30s on local driving up to mid 40s on a long run (46.3 is the highest so far, on a 160 mile motorway
I don't know that engine, I find the engine line-up and numbers so confusing. Is it petrol, diesel, petrol-hybrid or diesel hybrid? Looking now on Autotrader if that's the C300 with no letters after the number it's a high powered petrol so those numbers are pretty good, no?

Last edited:
Looking now on Autotrader if that's the C300 with no letters after the number it's a high powered petrol so those numbers are pretty good, no?

Yes C300 is a plain petrol turbo (2 litre 4 cyl), and as you know the W205 estate is a decent size (significantly bigger than the W203 we had before) so the consumption is pretty reasonable.

I don't know that engine, I find the engine line-up and numbers so confusing. Is it petrol, diesel, petrol-hybrid or diesel hybrid? Looking now on Autotrader if that's the C300 with no letters after the number it's a high powered petrol so those numbers are pretty good, no?
Hi , on my C207 E400 I use Shell V Power whenever possible.

On my recent trip to Birmingham airport the car shows 37 mph and as it happens I live 37 miles from the airport.

I don't think those figures are no bad for a 3.5 litre petrol engine. ( M276 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom