What to do with my 220 - sell or scrap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirrelcatcher

Car
C 220 Avantgarde SE CDI
I have an auto C220 54 reg which has been plagued with engine problems, which I believe to be caused by the transmission. The problem appears to stem from a transmission that is missing gears on the way up and down. This has had several looks at and the engine management light has now become a feature of the dashboard. Though it still runs, it is not accelerating (takes a full slip road to pick up enough speed on entering the motorway to beat a lorry).
The problem could be due to a rather simple leaking o-ring (lowish cost, but no time to address) or a more complex and expensive electrical control problem with the transmission.
In addition, the right mirror indicator does not work, despite being fixed plus it is not in the best condition, though everything else appears to run fine.
I have decided that the risk of running it is too high (I need to get to work and back).
So the question is - is it likely to sell or is it better to bypass Autotrader/Ebay and go straight to the scrap man.
I would value your thoughts on the best way forward. The tax runs out at the end of the month, so not interested in renewing.

There are plenty of car manufacturers offering £2,000 or more if you "scrap" your car through them and buy a new one. Just a thought.

Oh, I see. You'll probably have to pay a scrap man. How about advertising it as a runner (be honest about its problems) but useful as a parts donor?

Thank-you Ron. That backs up my own gut feel. As long as I can get rid of it.

If it were mine I'd put it on eBay with a 99p start price and let it find it's own level/

Be honest about the faults in the advert and explain that it's going as spares/repairs. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with the result. :)

You'll probably get £80 - £90 from a breakers and maybe four - five times that if you sell it yourself for spares or repair on the likes of Gumtree.

I'd go for the latter option although it would almost certainly involve dealing with lots of timewasters and knuckle-draggers.

I'm going down the route of breaking my 05 sport edition out for parts. Was a great car for last 8 years but tax system here (€951) for the year leaves little demand for them. By the time I sell the wheels, bumpers spoiler and side skirts, interior and some running gear, it's worth more to me selling the above parts without going into much hassle

Try also the likes of webuyanycar.com.

They will mainly look at external condition (no rust, dents, or curbed wheels) and history / MOT.

In terms of mechanics, all they will want to see is that the car can be driven 10m in a straight line ahead and then back, on it's own steam and without drama.

This is because the cars are being auctioned... so they are only interested in checking for faults that auction bidders can see. Any fault that can't be seen in an auction is not relevant for them.

I would bung it on eBay as spares or repair.

There is a very healthy export market for diesel Merc parts so it will be snapped up in no time and you'll probably get 3 times what you would from a scrappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom