Who here has driven a Smart car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When we moved to Skiathos one of the car hire firms had a Crossblade like the above.

It was a fab little runabout and was booked out solid for the entire season. We had it a few times because we worked with the hire firm.

Unfortunately, even a larger front crash structure is unlikely to reduce the rate of deceleration sufficiently for such an impact to become survivable, because the crash structure is short and deforms quickly.

Traditional cars with a very long bonnet likely have a larger front crash structure than one with very short bonnet, but not by as much as many imagine, because much of that length is incompressible (eg engine).
Fair point but many modern cars are designed such that the engine transmission assembly effectively " submerges" below the bulkhead/floorpan in the event of a frontal collision. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Smart - indeed the future of personalised transport in the coming era of EV/energy efficiency probably lies with such small vehicles-whose crash protection improvement may lie with the increasing use of composite construction as seen in F1 cars?

I'd booked a courtesy car when my car was being serviced a few years ago and was offered an "E" class or a Smart car. The receptionist was somewhat taken aback when I opted for the Smart , something different I thought. They'd nicknamed the car Daisy as it was Black with white panels. I drove it for about 40 miles on mixed A road and dual carriageway and although I woudn't buy one it wasn't such a bad drive.

Five years old, the odd exclusive add on, that’s some serious money.

There’s one on eBay for £30000
Exactly 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom