Why are some people so thick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

*Before reading, this is a simple rant of frustration and not an exact science*

As usual I've been tasked with finding a family member a car, so been in touch with a few and ended up with this caper:

Family member bought a car as in inbetweener that cost about £700 six week ago instead of renting one while they found a car they liked. Having now found them one, I got in touch with the seller, went through the usual motions/questions and everything is just how you'd want it to be when buying a £19,750 car.

So I say to the seller that as long as it's described we will pay £19,500 and throw in this £700 car so in effect the £700 snotter is being given away for nothing (I wanted to offer £18k cash for the car but the family member has fallen in love with it and is desperate to buy).

The seller flatly refuses and says they'll take £19,500 without the part exchange, so I tell them the reason they want him to take the £700 car in part ex is more so they can drive the 120 miles to you on their own and drive back in their new car.

This then somehow confuses the seller who now says that they will take £19,500 but pay the £60 train ticket for said family member and he will pick them up from the train station. :rock:

I said, but they'll still have the £700 and they don't want the hassle of selling, you'll get £140 scrapping it.

Anyway, in the end I got fed up of said family member nagging in my lug hole so I told him the offer is £19k and I'll bring them down for the car and he's agreed...

Or am I the one that's got it all wrong here? Am I the thick one? I can see why he's not want the hassle of getting rid of the £700 car but surely when it's free and giving you virtually the full asking price you'd go for it? Then he accepts £750 under his asking price?!

He's got to tax it and insure it if he wants to move it anywhere on the highway, find somewhere to park it etc.

It's just a nuisance.

Unless you're in the trade taking a snotter in is just all ball ache. Why bother.

What I'm going to do is drive the family member down in the £700 car, drop them off where their new car is and go to the local scrap merchants to weigh it in then come back with them in their new car.

Yes you are right,some people seem not to want to do a deal,they seem incapable of thought,it is these people who moan about buyers messing them about,but you offered a good deal,as you say the car is worth £140 scrapped out,but you have found one of the slow ones who thinks every twist of the sale is a major problem,because they are dense,and basically they know this and so suspect everything a buyer says,post after you have met this guy,and let us know if he looked normal.

Thick or suspect?

What's suspect? He's £500 out of pocket (£640 if you include scrapping the car) by accepting the second offer.

I even told him the above and it didn't register that he was out of pocket.

Maybe I am the thick one in this story because it's always me that gets roped into doing these favours and then being exasperated at both the seller AND the person I'm buying on behalf of!

YOU Lee are not alone! I have just been laughing at your rant, thinking thats the type of stuff that happens to me when I am just trying to help out :D

Maybe there a morale to the story.....stop helping out! :D

YOU Lee are not alone! I have just been laughing at your rant, thinking thats the type of stuff that happens to me when I am just trying to help out :D

Maybe there a morale to the story.....stop helping out! :D

Glad to know that there are other sufferers out there and I'm not alone!

I must have muttered for fecks sake under my breath at least fifty times today...:D

In fairness Lee he's probably glad for the sale and can't be ****d getting rid of the shed.

He's got to tax it and insure it if he wants to move it anywhere on the highway, find somewhere to park it etc.

It's just a nuisance.

Unless you're in the trade taking a snotter in is just all ball ache. Why bother.

I fully understand how it can be a ball ache, with you 100% on that, but even when you take the free car out the equation he's down by £500!

What's suspect? He's £500 out of pocket (£640 if you include scrapping the car) by accepting the second offer.

I even told him the above and it didn't register that he was out of pocket.

Not his car? Wants no connections/complications, cash by any chance?

Not his car? Wants no connections/complications, cash by any chance?

Not whose car? It doesn't matter if the car was a heap of junk (it's not) it still weighs in for £140! And the fact the car would be travelling 120 miles would point towards it being roadworthy.

Payment is to be via bank transfer.

TBH I would probably not want that deal.

Sounds simple but as said before may have to tax and insure it, if the scrap dealer is genuine he would probably want to see the V5 as proof of ownership then he has to park up an old car on his property.

At the end of the day its aggravation all round.

That's probably why I'm not minted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, meant the car you are purchasing isn't his to sell.... Just throwing ideas out there as to why he wants no complications..

Sorry, meant the car you are purchasing isn't his to sell.... Just throwing ideas out there as to why he wants no complications..

Oh right, sorry, know what you mean now, thought you were thinking that the car seller was suspicious of this cheap car.

If I had known Lee, I would have come down and helped you out and charged the £500 nobody wanted or the free car :)
Next time you can't give money away, give me ring pal ;)

Maybe I am the thick one in this story because it's always me that gets roped into doing these favours and then being exasperated at both the seller AND the person I'm buying on behalf of!
:crazy: This.

You always get messed about when you're just trying to do someone a favour. - Unfortunately if you're a helpful person, it will just keep happening.

I personally wouldn't want the £700 shed, but I would at least listen to the proposal.

I think he accepted the lower price without even the car, just to shut you up. You can go on a bit, even on a good day. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom