Windscreen camera calibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjmaxwell

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2016 SL63
When a new screen is fitted it is recommended that the camera is recalibrated for Lane Assist and Highbeam Assist, however when I enquired of the dealer what the price was I was surprised at the one hour £144 charge!

Can indies do it and what equipment is required as my dealer has the Mercedes headlight alignment target tool and wonders if this is all that is required, along with STAR?

It's recomended by glass replacement companies and Mercedes but I was only asking what is actually required because it seems a very high price by the Stealer!

It's recomended by glass replacement companies and Mercedes but I was only asking what is actually required because it seems a very high price by the Stealer!

Fitted hundreds, even for main dealers. never had to recalibrate.

OK, well I've replaced mine for an upgrade and its saying it needs calibrating in STAR so what is the process required to do this or is it only a main dealer job!?

PS - I did say "recommended" NOT "required"

OK, well I've replaced mine for an upgrade

I suspect it is because you haven't fitted the same camera, the system is looking to calibrate it.
If you had fitted new glass but reused the old camera, it wouldn't be.

Does anyone know what's required/involved in calbrating the camera?

I'm trying to find out to see if my Indie can do it rather than the Stealer!

I suspect it is because you haven't fitted the same camera, the system is looking to calibrate it.
If you had fitted new glass but reused the old camera, it wouldn't be.

The bracket will only accept the correct camera. Besides, why would you be changing the camera on a windscreen replacement (unless it got damaged)?

I expect its a Star only job. I would have thought your indy could do it. I have never been asked to do it myself. It's probably just a menu you find and it does it automatically.

It would be interesting to ask the insurance company to pay for the recal.........after all its part of the screen replacement, and they knew which model you have.

Or maybe they will ask you to start paying for the screen mastic soon? :rolleyes:

The bracket will only accept the correct camera. Besides, why would you be changing the camera on a windscreen replacement (unless it got damaged)?

Any CCD camera will need setting up on installation, so a different camera, even the same type will require setting up.

It would be interesting to ask the insurance company to pay for the recal.........after all its part of the screen replacement, and they knew which model you have.

Or maybe they will ask you to start paying for the screen mastic soon? :rolleyes:

The insurance company pay their nominated supplier, usually someone like Autoglass, AA Auto Windshields, Auto Windscreens, National Windscreens, etc. And given how low the average invoice value has fallen over the years, and how many insurance companies are enjoying deals which mean they no longer pay for associated clips/mouldings/trims etc, I wouldn't hold out much hope of the insco being too keen to pay for a recalibration.

Any CCD camera will need setting up on installation, so a different camera, even the same type will require setting up.

For the purpose of replacing a damaged windscreen, the camera is unclipped from its mount, and clipped back on to the new one (which comes on the new glass).

In some cases, a rain sensor might show up as a fault if the car's ignition was switched on with the sensor disconnected. Why would a camera need setting up if there has been no interference from anywhere?

For the purpose of replacing a damaged windscreen, the camera is unclipped from its mount, and clipped back on to the new one (which comes on the new glass).

In some cases, a rain sensor might show up as a fault if the car's ignition was switched on with the sensor disconnected. Why would a camera need setting up if there has been no interference from anywhere?

It wouldn't, but sjmaxwell has changed the camera for an upgraded model. He hasn't changed the windscreen.

Believe it or not (and given that all cameras for an E Class are the same price - £600) there are different cameras that fit the mount from the basic High Beam Assist to Lane assist and Speed limit Assist functionality.

I'm trying to add SLA and changed the camera as the original part didn't have the capability and Comand Online are doing the coding for it but it has to be calibrated (probably due to the change of camera) and I'm trying to find out if my local Indie can do it or if there is some other equipment required; I'm guessing at the very least the High Beam has to "know" where to look for oncoming lights to dip the beam

Did you buy the car as an approved used SJ?

The reason I ask is that my recent headbolt work was charged at £82+VAT due to the dealer accepting the car was from within the network (very recently in your case). I think it was referred to as the internal service rate - oo-er!

Might be worth an ask, especially as you've just spent £600 on a camera (I assume).

Negotiations with main dealers can prove fruitful sometimes - they also beat the price from AlloyWheelsDirect on a replacement alloy for my S211.

Yer, I usually have a good relationship with my dealer but as this is an unapproved upgrade and the dealer has had such a change of front of house staff (from some knowledge of the product to zero) it's become difficult to negotiate as they have no idea!

But I may have to go that way as no one seems to know what's involved :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom