Windshield wiper stops in centre of screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crapshot

Car
1996 Mercedes C180
Hi folks. I have gone through all the other images and posts on this happening to tthe C180 window wiper BUT, I have never seen this drive unit in any of them so have no idea how to proceed in repairing the bloody thing. Can anyone help? The wiper works perfectly until it is stopped, then it keeps going through its cycle but stops in the centre of the screen. Hopefully this image will say all it needs to say. Personally, I can see no way of adjusting it. It was perfect till the other day there when all of a sudden the blade "dragged" across the screen, wiper still worked though till I switched it off.............

Attachments

• 16835940_1420651204621635_7504641632570615463_o.jpg
    16835940_1420651204621635_7504641632570615463_o.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 26
With the ignition ON, when you turn the wiper OFF (0) does it continue its sweep until it parks at the bottom of the windscreen or does it stop dead at the point that it is switched off?

Lubricate the mechanism as in below video first, if you have no grease then any oil will do temporarily, WD40 or a drop from the end of the engine dipstick.

Dec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gCCl_xZhB8

[YOUTUBE]1gCCl_xZhB8[/YOUTUBE]

It continues its sweep then stops in the middle.

And I have lubed it etc. Watched a vid on you tube from the states showing the exact same wiper assembly with the exact same problem, he lubed it and it worked right away, mine wont.

When it stops in the middle, while still switched ON, can it be got to move again with a push? (mind your fingers)

Dec

Hi Dec, yes it moves easily, in fact, if I move it to the completion of its cycle then switch on the ignition, it does a full cycle then stops in the middle.

I am of the opinion that some thing needs to be moved so the wiper blade settles in the home position but, for the life of me, I cannt see it :(. I think the actual motor needs to not move as the wiper assembly is moved back to the home position.

Last edited:
The park position of the wiper arm/blade has been lost and needs to be reset. Nut number 2 or nut 1 in picture below has probably slipped; this can happen if there is a lack of lubrication of the sliding mechanism or if the wiper is turned on while the rubber blade is frozen to the screen.
See… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/47456-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen.html

Proceed as follows;
= You need to make sure the WIPER MOTOR is parked,
= To park the motor run the wiper for a couple of sweeps then turn it OFF at the STALK SWITCH.
= Wait for it to complete its cycle and come to a stop… in your case, in the centre of the screen.
= The wiper motor is now parked.
= Remove keys from ignition.
= Remove the wiper assembly from the car and adjust the mechanism via nut 1 and 2 so that the alignment marks line up as in picture below. Tighten nuts without losing the park position alignment marks… that’s the tricky bit.
Refit and test.

9718d1203019908-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen-.jpg

How to get to the mechinasim in video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ca6h6HRskU

[YOUTUBE]7ca6h6HRskU[/YOUTUBE]

Dec

Oh dear, then it is an mot failure then on the 11th March as I have neither the time nor the knowledge to pull the car apart to do this. Many thanks for your answers though guys :)

I wonder is it an MOT fail. If you have working wipers and the clear the screen then not parking might not be a fail?

Dec

I was under the impression that anything in the line of sight or even anywhere on the windscreen like a camera or sat nav, was an mot failure (according to the nutters running the EU who keep changing the goal posts )? Th elast time we wnet for mot the test guy took the sucker doofer off as it was "in the line of site thus a failure"

Copy and past from the auotglass website.The MOT test covers the condition of the windscreen plus that of the windscreen wipers and washers.

You car may fail its MOT if:

The washers do not provide enough liquid to clear the windscreen in conjunction with the windscreen wipers
The windscreen wipers are missing, insecure or in poor condition so that they do not clear the windscreen to give the driver a clear view of the road ahead

So, line of sight will be a separate issue and nothing to do with the mechanism fault other than that the wiper will cause a vision issue.

You still have to get it done so if you don’t DIY, pass this info on to whoever does it, it is a tricky mechanism to work on if you haven’t done so before.

Dec

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took the plunge this morning as it was nice and did it. What a bloody nightmare getting that fascia off though!! The book of words etc didn't say there were THREE clips behind the bulk head that had to be got at!!! Took two hours to get it off, ten minutes to remove the motor etc, 15 minutes to reset it and half an hour to refit it all!! And it works a treat. Many thanks to all who made comments and helped :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom