Your most memorable day at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanMuller

Car
C32 AMG
Was just going through some pictures and came across a trip I did to Italy with work. I got phoned up the night before with Ferrari requesting they needed a hand delivered part (A Rear Fender) the next day for a VIP. So our work frantically boxed up a wing and I got tickets to fly into Bologna to hand deliver this wing in a massive box in Gatwick airport.

The trip was surreal landing in Bologna with Ferrari waiting to pick me up, in a fiat 500L :D. The guy who picked me up was known as "The fly doctor".

Anyways, attached are some pictures of delivering the part in Scaglietti (Where they make the La Ferrari), followed by a tour to Maranello. Have to say meeting the guys on the shop floor was a great experience, and you really see them building the car by hand. You really get a sense that the people working there love what they do.

Best day at work ever!

Does anybody else have a day which stood out over the rest?
15s7wpx.jpg

2f084dh.jpg

ztetdj.jpg

neb40j.jpg

Last edited:
Does anybody else have a day which stood out over the rest?

My last day working as an employee, the gaffer there telling me I was a troublemaker and that if I didn't watch my lip I'd never amount to owt.

Best day ever.

Year 2000 - the day I resigned from a job I hated - when the director phoned me I told him he was the last person I wanted to speak to, which felt really good.

I did have a fallback that enabled me to take that action, and didn't need an ongoing reference etc. which was fairly unusual.

Never looked back since.

Last edited:
Selling all the Newsagents we owned for a jolly good deal, after 20 years in the trade, driving home with a smile on my face......wow

Some negative comments...

One of my most memorable was inspecting the British Airways Maintenance Centre at Cardiff Airport. Fascinating building, and being up close to the 747 and 777's going under heavy checks.

Really enjoyed that day.

The day I jacked my job in and went self employed.

Closely followed by the day an ex client who I told they were being lied to by their new advisor called me a year later today say it had gone wrong and I was right all along.

They asked me to work with them again. I kindly told them I was at my max serviceable numbers and refered them to a friend.

For me, it was extremely positive - I went home with a proper spring in my step - a proper memorable day at work :thumb:.

Similar to my best day. 14th Nov 2014.

Finally finished the treadmill of work and constant early mornings to work outside in all kinds of crap weather. Sorry, no photos of the day.

@Ryan..........nice one. I can see why that is your best day:thumb:

Getting a call from my wife to tell me she was expecting our first child :thumb:

Setting up the test bed to put a Merlin engine through its paces and being next to it as it was fired up :thumb::thumb:

Kenny

After two years on sick leave, being able to attend my companies (I'm an employee) UK Conference. Being able to stand up and thank them all for the brilliant, over and above support, that they gave to me and my family for two years, was tremendous.

One of my more memorable was in 1974 whilst on work experience in a factory. On the first day I heard a siren - The whole of the factory were going on strike because the tea lady had been replaced by a drinks machine.

Difficult choice between the day I left after resigning, or possibly some years before when I set fire to the office. :D

Three days after getting engaged in Mongolia I went to Vanuatu for a 2-week teaching assignment for the telecoms authority. At lunchtime on my first day I walked across to the seafront and watched a school of dolphins jumping and playing in the Pacific Ocean. That experience helped me cope with being away from my fiancé because of work. But it was beaten the next day by the Engineering Director arranging the establishment of the first ever phone link between Vanuatu and Mongolia so I could talk to my fiancé.

The first day I got to do some work on Concorde. :)

9/11 - stuck on the ground in Heathrow for hours, too terrible.

Haha....summer job when 16, working in a big DIY place, I was allowed after some training to use the fork lift in the warehouse - brilliant, next day after lunch, jumped back in it and went to carry on........but loud bang followed by darkness.

Manager had decided to plug it back into the big charger....which I ripped off the wall - tripping all the power.
We decided to disagree about whose fault it was........I wasn't required back. :)

One of the things I will always remember from my working days was when I visited a large data centre in Brazil.

To get to the IT offices, you had to walk through a large call centre staffed with many young ladies. I was told by my host that you should look around at them and look happy when you saw those that looked attractive to you.

I thought I was being set up, but over the week or so I was there you could tell the girls were expecting this from every male who passed through.

The other thing I remember is the young lady receptionist at the front entrance had a gunbelt with an automatic pistol in a holster.

Its definitely different in Brazil!

The day I retired :rock:

For me the most memorable was not a happy day, but it started like any other, but became a shocking, bewildering, then ultimately a sombre and life-affirming one. It was 9-11.

I worked in Guildford in a small 60 person office that was the EMEA HQ of a US software & servicers company. Someone said a plane had hit a building in the US. We had a TV on every day in our little cafe, where staff and customers on training courses would take breaks - but someone talking about what they'd seen on TV was abnormal. I went in, sat down and saw what seemed to be a small hole in the first building with some smoke drifting out of it. Almost gently drifting smoke, not what we know know to have been a raging fire. It seemed to be just like the small plane they said it was. The pictures were streamed live. Then the next plane hit. In that instant, just before it hit, the terrible realisation that this was wrong, this was so shocking, that everything seemed to change. After getting over the shock I walked into my colleagues at their desks and told them - amazingly few got up and went back to see. After that it was all a blur, but I was glued for hours. I remember that there was some anti-US sentiment going around because of the Middle East, but working for a US company, I instantly and persistently felt a sense of connection to all that is good in America and Americans. They needed our support, loyalty and friendship and I was going to give it. A couple of visiting Americans were goggle-eyed and dazed, wondering how if even if they were going to get back. That day I went out and bought a couple of US flags, one for my car, one for my desk and as an Englishman I was proud to fly it.

Last edited:
Several best days at work - being asked at a moment's notice to drop everything and get on a flight to somewhere or other to fix a broken Concorde - New York, Glasgow, Shannon, Nairobi, Prague, Santa Maria and various places around the UK. Getting a ride home from NYC in a Concorde flight deck - aircraft was otherwise empty.

My most memorable day at work was, sadly, my worst. I was in my office on a pipeline site and my son (junior QS summer job) came in and said to me:

"Mum, something very bad has happened and I don't want you to go upstairs to the meeting room with the telly."

I spent most of the rest of the day trying to get a stable internet connection, and that evening stopped at a church of a different denomination to mine as it happens, to pray.

Even now, over fifteen years later, I have tears in my eyes thinking about it.

11/09/01

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom