• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2011 c180 cgi

Albert39

Car
W204 c180 cgi
Hi , i have recently purchased the car and i have a rattle from the timing chain which lasts for a couple of seconds then goes quiet . I also have an oil leak from the timing chain tensioner so i think the tensioner is the issue . I need to know when replacing the tensioner only how do you get the tensioner to pop out and take up the tension on the chain prior to starting the engine .Thanks

The tensioner is hydraulic and the leak you describe is a common fault on the latter M271 engines fitted to the W204.

The tensioner pops out when the oil pressure has built up, I don't see how you can get it to pressurise without the engine running.

There are guides on YouTube showing how to replace the timing chain on the W203, the setup is similar even though the latter engine that you have does have modified camshaft sprocket wheels.

The tensioner is hydraulic and the leak you describe is a common fault on the latter M271 engines fitted to the W204.

The tensioner pops out when the oil pressure has built up, I don't see how you can get it to pressurise without the engine running.

There are guides on YouTube showing how to replace the timing chain on the W203, the setup is similar even though the latter engine that you have does have modified camshaft sprocket wheels.
Hi and thanks for the info . So based on all the info i have received i agree with you i dont see how it can tension up without the engine running .

The tension is automatic. The spring inside the tensioner does it for you. If your chain is rattling it will need to be replaced. Don't leave it otherwise it WILL snap and if it does the engine is dead.

The tension is automatic. The spring inside the tensioner does it for you. If your chain is rattling it will need to be replaced. Don't leave it otherwise it WILL snap and if it does the engine is dead.
Hi , thanks for the info so what your saying is the tensioner piston should be fully out prior to fitting ? Regarding the rattle it only rattles for max 2 seconds after start up then goes quiet and it had a chain kit fitted in 2021 but the tensioner is now leaking oil .

Hi , thanks for the info so what your saying is the tensioner piston should be fully out prior to fitting ? Regarding the rattle it only rattles for max 2 seconds after start up then goes quiet and it had a chain kit fitted in 2021 but the tensioner is now leaking oil .
Was it a genuine kit? Did you replace the sprockets? The kit has to be genuine MB otherwise they fail again. You must replace the sprockets as they wear too. The leak is usually from the aluminum washer on the tensioner. Any rattle needs to be sorted asap even if its for 2 seconds long.

Yes. its fully out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom