• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Adblue level sensor replacement question.

GordonT

Car
220d c class
2016 220 C class 65000 miles. Ive been through the process of replacing the two Nox sensors and replaced the Adblue injector after a sensor problem a few months ago. Its been working well until I filled up with adblue. Topped it up as was getting low, jumps into car and engine light on and message adblue level cant be read. Damn! Looking through the threads on here, its looking like the dreaded adblue level sensor problem has arose and needs replacing. Milage countdown has started even after a reset with icarsoft reader.

Looking online the level sensor ( A0145428717) is about £75 and can be sourced from a few places.
Now, is it a big job to replace it? Does the adblue tank need to be taken off? Has anyone changed one and found it to work or is it a main dealer job? I can shuffle spanners ok, just need a heads up on a cost effective repair if possible.

Thanks for reading this far. G.

There comes a point with adblue systems where you have to ask, can I keep throwing money at something that is so badly designed and will forever bleed me dry?

There comes a point with adblue systems where you have to ask, can I keep throwing money at something that is so badly designed and will forever bleed me dry?
I know what you`re saying but thats not an answer to my question. If it wasnt for an adblue system, what could we have instead?

I know what you`re saying but thats not an answer to my question. If it wasnt for an adblue system, what could we have instead?
I've not had an adblue system for over two years and haven't had to spend a penny since I got rid off it. Still cost me around two grand when it was there, wish I'd deleted it sooner.

2016 220 C class 65000 miles. Ive been through the process of replacing the two Nox sensors and replaced the Adblue injector after a sensor problem a few months ago. Its been working well until I filled up with adblue. Topped it up as was getting low, jumps into car and engine light on and message adblue level cant be read. Damn! Looking through the threads on here, its looking like the dreaded adblue level sensor problem has arose and needs replacing. Milage countdown has started even after a reset with icarsoft reader.

Looking online the level sensor ( A0145428717) is about £75 and can be sourced from a few places.
Now, is it a big job to replace it? Does the adblue tank need to be taken off? Has anyone changed one and found it to work or is it a main dealer job? I can shuffle spanners ok, just need a heads up on a cost effective repair if possible.

Thanks for reading this far. G.
img_0491_a9a6c3086b777bd449e758bd0f54202ebda528e8.jpeg

Hopefully some good news. We never let our AdBlue drop below 50%. Top up with quality AdBlue that is recently made and stored in a cool place. 50Km into a 125km trip the error message activated, 15 min later the display said 800km range till engine shuts down. Got to destination, stayed there 5 hours and commenced return journey. Still no level detected and 800km range reducing by 120km when we returned. Got quotes for new tank - $3400, 4 month back order from Germany, no stock. AdBlue delivery pump - $$1800, in stock. Nox sensors x 2 _ $1650 each.
Risk the tank, pump or sensors has been disabled due to crystallisation in tank.
Research let to some manuf, all overseas who sold a AdBlue additive - used in AdBlue tank. Selected brand “Forte” and preferred option, 125ml services 20l tank Benz tank is 27l.
Car rested for 4 days, battery charger connected to top up battery in case electrical knock on ??
Ordered “Forte” Exhaust Crystal Preventer from UK, DHL Express delivery, arrived in Oz6 days later.
1 x bottle dispensed, sat for 3 hours. On starting engine alert still on dash. AdBlue tank now seeing virtually full tank - 700km range gone, no messages on screen except for engine light - I suspect it will go when error codes cleared.
Drove GLC at 100kph for 30 min ,rested car 2 hours and returned @ 100kph for 30 min. No more issues !!!
Hopefully this id the golden arrow that fixes the issue. Forte recommend 1 x bottle every AdBlue fill - won me.
Hope this helps.

Good news.

Don't get it the wrong way... but I'd get the EML light sorted at an indie with STAR, then trade-in the car asap for one that does not have AdBlue (petrol or EV).

These issues rarely go away for good that easily.... 😒

Hopefully this id the golden arrow that fixes the issue. Forte recommend 1 x bottle every AdBlue fill - won me.
Hope this helps.
Been there, done that, you haven't fixed anything, just delayed the inevitable. The Adblue system is not fit for purpose and a sticking plaster does not last forever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom