AMG e63s and Parking Sensor lark in hot weather (plate moving)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jibbajabba

SUPPORTER
Car
E63S
Not sure how many owners have this problem, but I noticed that the parking sensor comes up at the front without anywhere close to a car. Only when it is warm or hot outside. Funny enough I found it only happened after the car came back from PPF with Topaz. Anyway - car went to Mercedes and I was told it is a known issue with the E-Class - with the e63s being special in a way that it requires a software fix (make the sensor less sensitive). In non AMG models the subframe or whatever you call that thing the plate is mounted to can be removed - which is essentially their fix, making the plate less sticking out or moving / bending too close when hot. Oh and why only after it was with Topaz ? My guess is because they didn't screw the plates on (I sent them new plates while the car was there) but used slightly thicker double sided sticky plate adhesive things (no clue what they are called, but you can buy them also when you order plates).

Anyway - so the corners are slightly pushing out when hot and you may get this

1602773999647.png

My point is - if anyone has the issue - don't let the dealer tell you it is what it is .. There is an upgrade in the works (although Mercedes Cambridge, who told me this, wasn't able to give me an official advisory of some sort).

So yea - if you got the issue - keep an eye on upgrades and maybe ask when yours come up to a service to check for them.

What I personally attempt now is using DVLA approved plate stickers. Will update this once I received and tried it... Although now it is getting cooler so it happens less frequent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom