Apple Mac Mini Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
My son in law gave me an Apple Mini Mac for Christmas knowing my Windows PC 10 is flagging after 7 years. I have never been a fan of either Apple products or the Mac OS, so I've downloaded Windows 10 ISO on a USB drive and its in the process of being partitioned. The Mini Mac has a 2Tb SSD and the partition for Win 10 will be in the region of 1800Gb with the remaining storage for the Mac OS and Mac related work. (Highly likely to be zero). When the partitioning is complete, the Mac will restart with Win10 as its OS, which I may upgrade to Win 11 in time although I understand its not a straightforward task. I do have a Win10 genuine licence to apply to the download.

The partitioning has been running now for 7hrs and without the ability to check the progress, anyone have an idea how long its likely to take?
I like the concept of Apple selling the Mac less keyboard/Mouse and monitor and just using what I have already. It's just a shame I have never taken to the brand in the past for either PC/phone/iPad etc when android and Windows products I find far more user friendly.
This isn't meant as a Mac v Windows debate please, just someone who has done this before giving me some idea when its likely to be finished. I'm impatient;)

Just a note on the keyboard if you aren't aware. If you don't already have a Mac keyboard, you will have to get used to using the Windows-specific keys.

Not a big deal but here's the conversion:

Use your Apple Keyboard in Windows with Boot Camp

I've never installed Windows on a Mac but I'd be surprised if the partitioning is taking the time as that is usually quick.

I wonder if it is Windows trying to full-format the remainder of the space which will take a while on that size of drive.

Although there is a small chance it's f'd up (crashed) and you are none-the-wiser.

I'd turn just the monitor off and give it overnight and see if it has finished in the morning and go from there.

To bring this to a conclusion, the partitioning had been completed but the reboot had frozen. I rebooted the PC manually this morning and Win10 Pro has installed. Took a little while to fully come to life and no problems adding the Product Key.
It may as well be a full Windows PC now as there is no sign of any MacOS or apps on booting up.
It's extremely quiet and pretty fast. A nice upgrade.

Did you use Bootcamp to instal the Windows ISO, if not, then you may have wiped the Mac OS off the hard drive. To check, when you next turn on, hold down the alt key which should show both the Windows and Mac os which you can then choose which one you boot up in. Just choose the Windows and it should carry on loading windows each time you turn the now PC on. You can also choose, assuming the Mac OS is still on there, which system you want to load up as default. When I installed Windows on my Mac it chose Windows as the default and I just changed it the the Mac OS which I prefer personally.

^ Yes, I used Boot Camp to install Win10 Pro.
I'll try holding down the alt key later to see if the Mac OS is still there.
So far its booted up 2 or 3 times since installation and goes straight into Windows.

^^Easier than that, go into disc utility and it should show on your disc, on mine boot camp is Windows drive and Macintosh is the Mac os.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom