Automatic Towbar "Trailer Coupling Check Lock" warning message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercberk

Car
GLC 250d
Hi Folks

I've just retracted my towbar with the adapter converter plug for light board and it jammed. This is not the first time and resorted to helping it slightly by hand.
this time though the warning message appears once deployed out "Trailer coupling Check lock" thing is I need to use it and understand Merc dealership will be useless for an OEM part (Bosal auto Towbar) and as already discovered will only fit them not repair them. the reason I'm probably going to use it as it seems to lock in position fine and makes the usual clamping grinding noise at the end of the process. After standing on it and jumping up and down it doesn't move a bit and seems very solid and parallel to back bumper as it should be.
any help to fix this or advise asap would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Folks

I've just retracted my towbar with the adapter converter plug for light board and it jammed. This is not the first time and resorted to helping it slightly by hand.
this time though the warning message appears once deployed out "Trailer coupling Check lock" thing is I need to use it and understand Merc dealership will be useless for an OEM part (Bosal auto Towbar) and as already discovered will only fit them not repair them. the reason I'm probably going to use it as it seems to lock in position fine and makes the usual clamping grinding noise at the end of the process. After standing on it and jumping up and down it doesn't move a bit and seems very solid and parallel to back bumper as it should be.
any help to fix this or advise asap would be greatly appreciated.
Without seeing it, I'm guessing that the mechanism has been fouled up with crud from the road. Can you get underneath with a wire brush and penetrating oil? If you manage to free it, regular cleaning and lubing of the various pivots should keep it working smoothly.. If you're unable to access it yourself, perhaps a friendly local garage might be able to help...after all, it is only a mechanical device!

Let us know how you get on,

Ernie

ps. Welcome to the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom