Automatic wipers not responding to rain after new windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Isa0324

Car
E350d coupe
Hi, I recently had a new windscreen ( original ) fitted to my 18 plate E class.
1 day after it rained heavily and i noticed the automatic wipers were not working when needed to. we talking about 30 second delay with heavy rain.
Called back national windscreens and took it back down on Friday. he sprayed the windscreen, and nothing . all he said was 'yea its not working'
he said it needs to be calibrated/reset on the STAR machine- and they do not have such machine. he said get mercedes to do it next time i take it for a service.

I called Mercedes roadside assistance ( RAC ) on saturday morning, guy came out. on his machine, and said i don't see anything wrong. and it won't let me calibrate it. i will need to get it booked in with dealer.
he said the wipers are not supposed to move when the car is stationary with the engine on. I believe his incorrect.
after me telling him its annoying as i had to put it on the contract wipers , he said to me, well back in the day thats all we had. which i think is unprofessional
not to mention him telling me he changed his windscreen on his merc and no problem , making it sound like i was making it up.

Any ideas guys??

I will call my local merc dealer tomorrow to get it booked in- I don't want them to come back with me being charged for the works as it's not my fault, my wipers were working perfectly with the new windscreen got fitted. ( my car is still under warranty )

Worth noting the wipers will not operate if the front doors or windows are open. Similarly they don't operate if the bonnet is open.
Your RAC man was almost correct in that the frequency of operation will reduce dramatically when the car is stopped with the engine running e.g. at traffic lights etc..

Worth noting the wipers will not operate if the front doors or windows are open. Similarly they don't operate if the bonnet is open.
Your RAC man was almost correct in that the frequency of operation will reduce dramatically when the car is stopped with the engine running e.g. at traffic lights etc..
I agree that won’t operate on said conditions. He said they won’t operate without said conditions. Being stationary waiting in your car with engine on, doesn’t necessarily have to be at traffic lights.

when it was p****** down in rain the other day, they wouldn’t operate when required , I literally could not see a thing so had to resort to the manual constant one.

Being stationary waiting in your car with engine on, doesn’t necessarily have to be at traffic lights.
Traffic lights was just an example...
Sitting in the car, engine running, in a car park waiting for a passenger is another example when the wipers will operate at a much reduced frequency.
You need the car on STAR, probably a recalibration due to the windscreen change, maybe something amiss with the sensor or lenses on the screen.
The dealer will in all probability charge you (quite correctly) but you should claim this back from either your insurers (presumably you claimed?) or from National Windscreens, if recalibration was included in the fitting costs

They should of calibrated it. And they should also opted for a compatible windshield. Autoglass opted for pilington on mine and did the calibration after I said I will be coming back until all features work, including interior IR sensor

They should of calibrated it. And they should also opted for a compatible windshield. Autoglass opted for pilington on mine and did the calibration after I said I will be coming back until all features work, including interior IR sensor

Agreed, and I don't think it's right that National Windscreens sent the OP to the dealer.

The OP should complain to National Windscreens and insist that they sort-out the issue.

The fact that Mercedes cars require calibration using STAR would have been known to National Windscreens before they accepted the job and dispatched the auto glass fitter. At the very least, they should have communicated to the OP that they can only do half the job and that the OP will need to take the car to the dealer after that - and I doubt that the OP would have proceeded with them if they said that.

There are practical and legal avenues available to the OP, including via his insurer (if this was an insurance claim) and via his credit card issuer (if it was paid by credit card), but before escalating, he should in the first instance log a formal complaint with National Windscreens, at the very least regarding the poor advanced communication.

(And even in the unlikely event that the dealer will sort it under warranty somehow and at no cost to the OP, the fact that he wasn't told that the full repair will require him to invest his time in a trip to the dealer, is bad enough in itself)

Had mine replaced Today at Autoglass and it had to be taken to a workshop and done so they could recalibrate it, National also mentioned the same when I rang for a booking but frankly the attitude was iffy so I went with Autoglass even though my IC partner with National

Think the standard is ADAS to calibrate it, also resets you automatic collision detection etc, mine has the auto beams and the night vision as well which is one of the reasons it had to be done, incidentally the camera if fitted is also heated and should be tested afterwards

Update, I spoke to national windscreen again on Monday after booking my appointment with Mercedes regarding the issue . During the phone call I didn’t tell them I booked it in with Mercedes , I explained it’s ridiculous for me to be told when I take it down for a service get them to do it , what if I had done my service 1 month ago, do I wait another 11 months ? they then said they will get it booked in with a dealer to sort the issue, I then said I have already booked it in, I explained it’s still under warranty but I doubt they will put it down as a warranty repair. They said they will contact the dealer on my behalf to tell them any costs, they will cover.
apparently it’s called re-initialisation of rain sensor. They can do it on bmw Vauxhall audi etc but due to the complex of the programming on Mercedes they can’t. ( apparently )

I do agree they should of made me aware , even when booking it in, they asked me if I want a manufactures glass or aftermarket ( silly question if you ask me ) I obviously wanted a genuine glass.

I can probably put in a complaint, but don’t want the hassle of going around in roundabouts just want
The issue sorted. I mean what’s the point of
Complaining if they willing to cover cost to
Sort it.

unfortunately I didn’t have the option to choose who to go with as I went with my insurance and the number I rang sent me straight to National windscreens , through Tesco insurance that was .

Update, I spoke to national windscreen again on Monday after booking my appointment with Mercedes regarding the issue . During the phone call I didn’t tell them I booked it in with Mercedes , I explained it’s ridiculous for me to be told when I take it down for a service get them to do it , what if I had done my service 1 month ago, do I wait another 11 months ? they then said they will get it booked in with a dealer to sort the issue, I then said I have already booked it in, I explained it’s still under warranty but I doubt they will put it down as a warranty repair. They said they will contact the dealer on my behalf to tell them any costs, they will cover.
apparently it’s called re-initialisation of rain sensor. They can do it on bmw Vauxhall audi etc but due to the complex of the programming on Mercedes they can’t. ( apparently )

I do agree they should of made me aware , even when booking it in, they asked me if I want a manufactures glass or aftermarket ( silly question if you ask me ) I obviously wanted a genuine glass.

I can probably put in a complaint, but don’t want the hassle of going around in roundabouts just want
The issue sorted. I mean what’s the point of
Complaining if they willing to cover cost to
Sort it.

unfortunately I didn’t have the option to choose who to go with as I went with my insurance and the number I rang sent me straight to National windscreens , through Tesco insurance that was .
You always have a choice you just ring who you want, they can stipulate a preference for repairs but cant enforce it, just the same as when you want bodywork fixing you can go to any garage you choose

Hi, I recently had a new windscreen ( original ) fitted to my 18 plate E class.
1 day after it rained heavily and i noticed the automatic wipers were not working when needed to. we talking about 30 second delay with heavy rain.
Called back national windscreens and took it back down on Friday. he sprayed the windscreen, and nothing . all he said was 'yea its not working'
he said it needs to be calibrated/reset on the STAR machine- and they do not have such machine. he said get mercedes to do it next time i take it for a service.

I called Mercedes roadside assistance ( RAC ) on saturday morning, guy came out. on his machine, and said i don't see anything wrong. and it won't let me calibrate it. i will need to get it booked in with dealer.
he said the wipers are not supposed to move when the car is stationary with the engine on. I believe his incorrect.
after me telling him its annoying as i had to put it on the contract wipers , he said to me, well back in the day thats all we had. which i think is unprofessional
not to mention him telling me he changed his windscreen on his merc and no problem , making it sound like i was making it up.

Any ideas guys??

I will call my local merc dealer tomorrow to get it booked in- I don't want them to come back with me being charged for the works as it's not my fault, my wipers were working perfectly with the new windscreen got fitted. ( my car is still under warranty )
Hi , I had a windscreen replaced due to road damage using MB parts.

Did National supply a genuine MB screen or a third party screen ?

Just a thought

No car manufacturer makes their own screen.

Please explain, what is a genuine MB screen?

Hi guys, this is an EXTREMELY good thread ! I've often wondered what the position would be re sensors, it looks as if it's the nightmare I feared. I wonder if all this applies to older cars, i.e. my 2005 CLK ?

Please explain, what is a genuine MB screen?
I presume one thats bought via Mercedes with the Mercedes logo on it, I think your being a bit of a pleb to be truthful so whats a Genuine Mercedes brake pad? do MB make them ? No of course not they buy them from the likes of Ferodo or similar made to their own specification same as any other part a MB wiper is probably a Bosch part with a Mercedes logo and price tag on it

Hi ,

From my point of view a genuine Mercedes Benz windscreen will be sourced via an MB dealer who in turn will purchase from Mercedes.

The process provides quality and traceability !

In the case of most modern cars the windscreen is a structural feature and the use of a pattern part may or may not provide that benefit.

The above can be said for road wheels , batteries , headlights and the list goes on.

I am being a little mischievous but when does a Mercedes Benz lose the right to be called a Mercedes Benz ?

When it's full of inferior , non traceable safety critical components packaged up as a Mercedes Benz.

Am I incorrect , not according to Mercedes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom