• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Bloo.. Junk Mail

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I use Hotmail usually without any problems. But 3 weeks ago I suddenly started a serious amount of junk mail , all originating from the US. All of it relates to finance (credit card invites, refinancing a car, debt solutions etc etc) , some are about UK companies. I am very careful what websites I visit and cannot think what I have done to start the flood. I now block each and every piece of junk which is a nuisance. Is there any solution? (I ask more in hope than expectation) Thanking you

Something is going on as I and a few friends have similar (web mail based ntlworld accounts though)

Their support team agree a spike and are looking into it (some is random, some is rude) but it's well organised as bypassingbthe filters.

Have you asked the hotmail help team or user forum?

(Sorry no more help than that)

I use Hotmail usually without any problems. But 3 weeks ago I suddenly started a serious amount of junk mail , all originating from the US. All of it relates to finance (credit card invites, refinancing a car, debt solutions etc etc) , some are about UK companies. I am very careful what websites I visit and cannot think what I have done to start the flood. I now block each and every piece of junk which is a nuisance. Is there any solution? (I ask more in hope than expectation) Thanking you

Yes, don't use hotmail or any free service for email as these are always prime targets for spammers..

Yes, don't use hotmail or any free service for email as these are always prime targets for spammers..

I have a paid for business account and get a lot of spam/junk on that. The account is registered on, for example, my HMRC account. I believe it has possibly been sold or leaked from somewhere like that.

Had a message from one forum i am on .To say they had a breach few weeks ago. And the same web page server was used for 4 forum sites i use All 4 were compromised .So i know where my junk is from. The host for the sites are in the USA. I knew there had been a problem , as i could not signe in with my password .Took weeks to get in to the forums..

I have a strange situation. I go to block some junk emails and I get a message saying they cannot be blocked because return email address is invalid. How can junk be received via an invalid email address?

I too have the same problem with paid for private and business emails. Typically over 100 junk mails a week bypassing the filters. Things went from bad to worse when I followed the links to "unsubscribe". I'm not doing that again.

I can understand (but still don't like) all the business junk mails because we have a good website with effective SEOs, but don't understand all the rubbish sent to my main private account. Perhaps it's because it's the account I use with Amazon?

Not entirely correct, although for many this is unfortunately the situation.

Gmail is recognised as having some of the best spam filtering capabilities of any system, free or paid.

I have a strange situation. I go to block some junk emails and I get a message saying they cannot be blocked because return email address is invalid. How can junk be received via an invalid email address?

The sender spoofs the return address, easy to do if you run your own email server. They insert a made up address in the header so their real inbox isn't flooded with returned and revenge emails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom