• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Brake pipe question.

toteimerced

Car
C 220 CDI sport edition
Being new to my current Mercedes, I have a question about the brake pipes, I know some models suffer from them corroding, does it still happen, or was the problem resolved? my car is a 63 plate E350 coupe, facelift version, thanks for any advice.

It certainly happened on cars of that vintage....plenty of knowledgeon here about it ......but as luck would have it they also came with biodegradable rear subframes.....so you can do the hard brake lines when you do that! :D

They are steel brake lines from factory.
The worst areas are under the plastic trim running along the sills on the underside of the car. This collects dirt etc over time and keeps the brake lines wet. Remove the plastic, clean and apply something like ACF50 or another grease/corrosion inhibitor.

It certainly happened on cars of that vintage....plenty of knowledgeon here about it ......but as luck would have it they also came with biodegradable rear subframes.....so you can do the hard brake lines when you do that! :D
Well I guess an Alfa fan would be the expert on rust. 🤣

LOL....older ones only....like my Sud....my 147 had a little.....but my 156 was rust free...and my current 159 is fully galvanised with not a spec or rust anywhere....even where it's lost paint through chips or careless jack use its just stayed silver bare metal. The subframes have a bit if a history with 159s....but mine have nothing more than light surface patches...I repaint them, in situ, every two or three years though.......strangely only ever been mentioned once on the mot...but never since!! Not bad for 15 years and 175,000 miles. Brake lines are good and never had rust or replacement.....but they are sensibly routed down the middle of the car....not under covers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom