• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C207 brake hand release sticking

BMAY529

Car
MB E250 Coupe
The brake hand release beside the steering wheel on my C207 has started to "stick". Sometimes pulling it releases the brake on first attempt but most times it is now taking several attempts (sometimes as much as 20 in the mornings) to release. Is there a quick fix or must I bring it back for service?

It’s most likely to be sticking at the equaliser quadrant underneath the rear seat base, in the centre of the car. On most (but not all) there is an inspection panel under the seat you can remove. If you can get in there, cleaning and lubricating can resolve the problem

It’s most likely to be sticking at the equaliser quadrant underneath the rear seat base, in the centre of the car. On most (but not all) there is an inspection panel under the seat you can remove. If you can get in there, cleaning and lubricating can resolve the problem

I think that what you describe applies to the W203.

The C207 suffers from 'sticking' parking brake (same as the W204, on which the C207 is based). There's a link under the dash that needs lubricating and adjusting.

But I may be wrong...

I think that what you describe applies to the W203.

The C207 suffers from 'sticking' parking brake (same as the W204, on which the C207 is based). There's a link under the dash that needs lubricating and adjusting.

But I may be wrong...
Eyes not working. Read it as 209.

Had this problem for years, just hook up the pedal with your foot.
Serviced evert year by a good MB indie never seems to solve the problem.

Had this problem for years, just hook up the pedal with your foot...

That's what I did for a few months... until MB Brooklands sorted it when the car was being serviced, by lubricating and adjusting the link under the dash.

Screenshot-20221121-122433-Drive.jpg

Last edited:
It could also be an issue with the shackle at the parking brake shoes. They often seize up and ever so common.

1669047393997.jpeg

As said . Your problem is almost defiantly around the 250/210 part of this diagram. You can spray some lube on the clock spring of the foot pedal if you like , but it probably won't help much. And/or as post # 7

Lube under the dash panel as you work and release the handle . Nipping up the shoes a tiny bit also helps it release , as does pushing it on a few extra clicks when parking. Failing that hook your foot under the thing and pull it up manually.

The hand parking break is now sticking in the morning, despite being serviced at my last MB service. It can take 20 pulls to release it in the morning or lift pedal with foot but once released it is then fine for the rest of the day. I wonder if in service they oiled/greased it somewhere but that it is too viscous at a low temp? Any thoughts?

The hand parking break is now sticking in the morning, despite being serviced at my last MB service. It can take 20 pulls to release it in the morning or lift pedal with foot but once released it is then fine for the rest of the day. I wonder if in service they oiled/greased it somewhere but that it is too viscous at a low temp? Any thoughts?

Is it the shoes or just the release mechanism that's sticking.

Have you read the previous replies?

Have you read the previous replies?
I have. As it works fine all day other than first thing in the morning I was hoping it was a known issue and lubricating the mechanism in the footwell with a low temp grease/oil might do the trick

I had the same problem for months, yesterday something happened and lost the brake completely. I’ve looked it up and found this video. Fixed it in 5 min with no problem and hand break works as new !!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom