• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Change your SIM card every 2-3 years !

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
I spent a frustrating few hours yesterday & today when my cell 'phone stopped working.

The only symptom was that I couldn't hear "the other party". Initially I thought that the problem was my 'phone, so I switched the SIM card to my spare 'phone only to have the same problem.

Off to my service provider where the rep. was very helpful & installed a new SIM. He would not want to be quoted but admitted in answer to my direct question that one should change one's SIM cards regularly.

Google found this on the web:-

Quote:​

SIM cards are designed to last for several years, but the exact lifespan of a SIM card can vary depending on several factors. Factors such as exposure to water, heat, and other elements, as well as general wear and tear, can all affect the lifespan of a SIM card.

In general, it is recommended to replace your SIM card every two to three years to ensure optimal performance

Source: https://europeesim.com/blog/can-sim-cards-go-bad/

I have made a diary note to do just this
Thumbs Up

NJSS

Never had a problem, but I suppose the transition to e-sim will eliminate this issue. :)

I must confess that I am a little wary of e-Sims - totally illogical I know, just lack of experience.

I must confess that I am a little wary of e-Sims - totally illogical I know, just lack of experience.
FWIW, I used e-SIMS for data on a trip to the USA last year and the whole process was very simple and worked faultlessly. It was also massively cheaper than paying Vodafone’s exorbitant roaming pass fee.

FWIW, I used e-SIMS for data on a trip to the USA last year and the whole process was very simple and worked faultlessly. It was also massively cheaper than paying Vodafone’s exorbitant roaming pass fee.
Was it Holafly? I used them too, perfect.

Was it Holafly?
No, it was easySIM. Both my wife and I used them, as did one of our travelling companions. You have to put a little effort into making sure you have your phone's data and roaming settings correctly set, but at £16 for a 30-day 10GB package vs Vodafone's exorbitant charges it's a no-brainer.

Hi,
We use an E-SIM for our contract number - then use the spare physical SIM slot to put a low cost pay-as-you-go SIM from the local provider in whatever country we are visiting,
We were in UK for past few weeks and bought a Lyca SIM with £10 voucher in Tescos on our first day of arrival. This gave us 40GB of data, unlimited UK calls, unlimited texts and 100 minutes of calls to many overseas countries.
We arrived back to Abu Dhabi this morning and I have already junked the SIM. It is still a surprise to me that you can buy a new SIM and a top-up voucher for cash and start using it without providing any form of ID - real “burner phone” territory!
Most other countries that we visit require you to show your passport when buying a SIM!
Cheers
Steve

Before the physical sim card, we had to wait a few days for new phones to be connected, which is my concern now with an esim as we rely to much now on our mobiles as no landline..

Before the physical sim card, we had to wait a few days for new phones to be connected, which is my concern now with an esim as we rely to much now on our mobiles as no landline..
The eSIM I use was activated instantly, no waiting time. Similar process to activate a physical sim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom