CLC 180 kompressor 2011 steering wheel vibration when brake applied.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boxer 01

Car
w211 e320cdi sport g7 with paddleshift
My e320 is off the road awaiting spares so I have been using my son's clc. I have noticed at low speed when you press the brakes car sort of slows down in a not so smooth way like the brake is applied and then quickly not applied ( it's hard to describe). At high speed when brakes are applied there is steering wheel vibration although car stops ok and the pads have plenty of meat on them. I think that the disc or discs are warped, but I need to know which ones, so the question is what the easiest way to find out which ones are warped.

Steering wheel vibration when braking is the result of an issue with the front suspension.

Start with new front discs & pads (to be replaced in pairs) but keep in mind that this can also be caused by another failed suspension component.

Start with replacing the front discs & pads and see if this cures the problem.

Your car BTW is CL203 (when looking for discs).

Steering wheel vibration when braking is the result of an issue with the front suspension.

Start with new front discs & pads (to be replaced in pairs) but keep in mind that this can also be caused by another failed suspension component.

Start with replacing the front discs & pads and see if this cures the problem.

Your car BTW is CL203 (when looking for discs).
I think the suspension is fine, the reason is the symptoms when driving slow and applying the brake is like it's slowing ever so slightly jerkily as I said it's hard to explain. But new discs and pads is the way forward I think.

I think the suspension is fine, the reason is the symptoms when driving slow and applying the brake is like it's slowing ever so slightly jerkily as I said it's hard to explain. But new discs and pads is the way forward I think.
What’s the cars mileage buddy ?

What’s the cars mileage buddy ?
86000. Just got home from work 20 miles mostly motorway, I could detect a small vibration on steering wheel this is without touching the brakes, and the steering seems a bit loose not as tight as my eclass, bear in mind I don't normally drive this car it belongs to my son. Need to get it on a ramp get the track rod ends and ball joints etc checked out before I order new discs.

Last edited:
86000. Just got home from work 20 miles mostly motorway, I could detect a small vibration on steering wheel this is without touching the brakes, and the steering seems a bit loose not as tight as my eclass, bear in mind I don't normally drive this car it belongs to my son. Need to get it on a ramp get the track rod ends and ball joints etc checked out before I order new discs.
On my CLK ,same platform as yours , at around the 80k mark I had similar issues of vibration under braking . New discs and pads fitted (from MB) and problem went for a while before returning .
In the end I changed both the front suspension arms on each side along with new discs and pads to resolve the problem .
I think if I had trouble diagnosing it in the future I would not have used MB discs and pads as my first attempt to resolve it (if there was any doubt that it was just discs and pads ) . Maybe I would have tried a cheaper set first ? Either that or just accept that at the 80k mark suspension is past it’s best so change all the likely suspects . This would be my diy route , I appreciate not every would want to pay a garage to do it all with the associated costs .
Any chance it’s a sticking brake caliper ?

On my CLK ,same platform as yours , at around the 80k mark I had similar issues of vibration under braking . New discs and pads fitted (from MB) and problem went for a while before returning .
In the end I changed both the front suspension arms on each side along with new discs and pads to resolve the problem .
I think if I had trouble diagnosing it in the future I would not have used MB discs and pads as my first attempt to resolve it (if there was any doubt that it was just discs and pads ) . Maybe I would have tried a cheaper set first ? Either that or just accept that at the 80k mark suspension is past it’s best so change all the likely suspects . This would be my diy route , I appreciate not every would want to pay a garage to do it all with the associated costs .
Any chance it’s a sticking brake caliper ?
If the car has Floating front calipers-most Mercs have-YES -often caused by failure to grease the caliper sliding pins at pad change time.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

you can often check the pins without removing the caliper carrier- depends on the design---its important to grease the new brake pad end plates also so they slide freely

Last edited:
Thanks w1ghty and grober will definitely take advice on board and let you know how I go on.

Just to let everyone know all 4 control arm bushes were perished so new control arms fitted also discs were in a sorry state so new brembo pads and discs fitted, car drives well and brakes as it should. Thanks for advice given.

Just to let everyone know all 4 control arm bushes were perished so new control arms fitted also discs were in a sorry state so new brembo pads and discs fitted, car drives well and brakes as it should. Thanks for advice given.
Sorted for another 80k miles buddy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom