• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

DIY tyre repair kits.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
Anyone used the mushroom plugs strings or screws for tyre repair? If so what are methods to sort a permanent repair?

Anyone used the mushroom plugs strings or screws for tyre repair? If so what are methods to sort a permanent repair?
I've used the strings on my Mondeo, wasn't as easy to do as I expected but it did work.

I've used the strings on my Mondeo, wasn't as easy to do as I expected but it did work.
What was the difficulty? I ask as I'll shortly be moving from runflat to standard tyres. No space in the Beemer for a spare so the plan is a compressor and 'string' based repair kit as I've no confidence in a can of gloop to fix a puncture.

I've got the screws and a screwdriver as a backup on all our cars and my bike. Previously had the strings but have never used either.
Plenty of you tube videos that show how easy the screws are to use, that's what swayed me.

What was the difficulty? I ask as I'll shortly be moving from runflat to standard tyres. No space in the Beemer for a spare so the plan is a compressor and 'string' based repair kit as I've no confidence in a can of gloop to fix a puncture.
There was a screw in the tyre, removing the screw was easy, using the reamer to enlarge the hole was easy, threading the string was easy but getting the string into the hole was a pain, bent the insertion tool but got it in eventually.

20240414_204719.jpg

There was a screw in the tyre, removing the screw was easy, using the reamer to enlarge the hole was easy, threading the string was easy but getting the string into the hole was a pain, bent the insertion tool but got it in eventually.

View attachment 155636
Thanks!
I has wondered about the robustness of the tools in these kits.
I've bookmarked this one as it has spare 'prongs'
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CKAuto-Universal-Emergency-Puncture-Motorcycles/dp/B0BZXR8Z8J/

Why not just use the screws?
They come in different sizes, just pick the one that suits, the threads have some kind of sealant on them already and all you need is a screwdriver and a compressor, job done.
Do you have a link please?

Useful timing on this, as a friend got potholed earlier and I ended up scratching my head over whether to do the repair or just call the AA

Which raises the question: what are the pros and cons of doing an 8,000 mile DIY repair on a tyre supporting one corner of a 1.5 tonne car at speeds up to the National Speed limit?

Useful timing on this, as a friend got potholed earlier and I ended up scratching my head over whether to do the repair or just call the AA

Which raises the question: what are the pros and cons of doing an 8,000 mile DIY repair on a tyre supporting one corner of a 1.5 tonne car at speeds up to the National Speed limit?
For me personally, I'd view any DIY fix as a temporary get me home measure to be sorted professionally soonest, rather than hanging around for ages waiting for recovery to turn up, but YMMV.

A friend of ours was on his way down the autoroute to visit us. Puncture. Tyre wrecked. No amount of goo or roadside repair could fix it. I advised him to get a spare, even if it is only a skinny one.

That's what we did with our Yaris and it paid of when the trye met an aggressive kerb. Put on the skinny.

Then found an exact match for the alloy wheel for £120 so we now have 5 alloys, just like my 300CE.

Confidence.

No space in the Beemer for a spare

Is that so? They actually make cars with no room for a spare? Didn't know that.

RayH

I use the string type.....buy the ones sold as a permeant repair....not temporary. Not sure if there really is any difference but it makes me feel better! Since I discovered string repair kits I've never used a spare tyre. I've always carried a small 12v compressor so it takes less time to fix it and inflate it than it does to change the wheel. Obviously they are no good for sidewall repairs. That insert tool that @ToeKnee is showing is not what I use. My kits have a screw like file to enlarge to hole big enough to get the string though and another more pointed tool to feed the string in which then comes back out leaving the string in the hole with a really sharp fast pull.....like below. Toeknees one looks to fat at the end to easily push through....probably why his mighty strength managed to bend it!!

1713172321212.png

Alfa, I did use the reaming tool to enlarge the hole, as stated, but I still struggled getting the strip in. I even went back and used the reamer again. I think it was just a cheap kit that I used plus the strips are really fat,so it's reminded me to now but a beefier version of the insertion tool.

A friend of ours was on his way down the autoroute to visit us. Puncture. Tyre wrecked. No amount of goo or roadside repair could fix it. I advised him to get a spare, even if it is only a skinny one.

That's what we did with our Yaris and it paid of when the trye met an aggressive kerb. Put on the skinny.

Then found an exact match for the alloy wheel for £120 so we now have 5 alloys, just like my 300CE.

Confidence.

Is that so? They actually make cars with no room for a spare? Didn't know that.

RayH
Not in my current 3 Series Touring (or my previous generation one).
In that I actually did carry a space saver in the boot on long distance trips. Can't do that with my current car as I carry too much work kit around with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom