• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Does the underside of this OM642 look normal?

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

Doing other work on my car and had to remove bottom panels. Found some oil residue but not sure if it spilled oil from changes or new. Will investigate.

However, is that hole at the bottom supposed to be there? Apologies for my ignorance, you can see it in the video. It looks like there are two bolt holes either side of the hole - but I didn’t remove anything, just the trays at the bottom.

Having a bad day so hopefully I’m just being paranoid/ignorant. Please not that the camera is pointing towards the front of the car.

Thanks,

Ed

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OBVIOUSLY INTENDED FOR ITEM 30- WHATEVER THAT IS?

om642-schematics-jpg.482526

Last edited:
Is it part of the engine or gearbox? Looks to me to be in the bellhousing which is part of the gearbox. If so, it's possibly an access hole for unbolting the flex plate from the flywheel and/or locking the flywheel. The TC can be seen through it and is dry.
The bosses suggest a mount point for a transmission jack.

Is it part of the engine or gearbox? Looks to me to be in the bellhousing which is part of the gearbox. If so, it's possibly an access hole for unbolting the flex plate from the flywheel and/or locking the flywheel. The TC can be seen through it and is dry.
The bosses suggest a mount point for a transmission jack.
You can certainly glimpse some gear teeth in the video-suggesting the OP has nothing to worry about may be just for access?

At about 12 seconds I can see some liquid shining from inside that space. I'll try to get another angle of that.

You can certainly glimpse some gear teeth in the video-suggesting the OP has nothing to worry about may be just for access?
Nothing to worry about...for now!
Someone should know exactly the function(s) that 'hole' and bosses are there for.

Access for the torque converter drain plug, should have a rubber plug over it if it follows most of the auto MB transmissions.

I’m just at mb parts and it seems it’s this:

A0011531332

Price is around £35, special order item.

he pulled this up specifically given my reg, same pic as grober posted, so it seems it’s missing?

Looking for more guidance before ordering, in extremely confused. Last gearbox service was by MB Cardiff early 2019.

Attachments

• A7A69935-25A0-4697-B92D-C384FD596BCE.jpeg
    A7A69935-25A0-4697-B92D-C384FD596BCE.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

A0011531332

he pulled this up specifically given my reg, same pic as grober posted, so it seems it’s missing?

Looking for more guidance before ordering
Possibly not fitted for the UK market or the specific specification of your car? Being a switch/sensor, if it had fallen off I’d have expected a fault code. Presumably the car runs fine without it? Do you have a dipstick for the engine oil?

I think A0011531332 looks too small to go in/plug that hole, I don't believe it's correct. Still doesn't answer the question as to what DOES go in that hole (if anything)!!

A0011531332

Looking for more guidance before ordering, in extremely confused. Last gearbox service was by MB Cardiff early 2019.
Not so.
The cavity behind that 'hole' is dry. It is where the flywheel and torque convertor are (and the clutch would be on a manual trans) and both are visible. Look at the periphery of the hole - no chance of forming an oil tight seal there anyway and it wouldn't need bosses that big to hold a sensor either.
The sensor in question I suspect is sandwiched between what appears to be a two-part sump formed by an upper alloy casting which bolts to the engine block and the steel pan beneath which seals it.

Thanks guys, feeling better about it now :)

Just googling the undercarriage of OM642 engines while I wait for some rust release to do it's thing, very normal on a Tuesday morning!

I'll be getting the gearbox serviced again sometime in the next 6 months, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom