• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Draining diesel from Vito

Alansdad

Car
Vito Van 109 CDi LWB 2.1 6 gear manual 639
I am scrapping my Vito van and it has over £80 of diesel in the tank. I want to put it in to Jerry Cans for my next van. The problem is the van has stopped working. I think some sensor or computery glitch. I drove it to where it is parked and switched off as normal. When I came back a few days later it would not start but it was turning over. I gave up that day and then tried again the following day but now the key is not being recognised at all. It won't even turn, no dash lights, nothing. I was going to use the fuel pump to empty the tank but that option seems to have gone.
As I am scrapping it because of ULEZ restrictions and TFL compensation, I don't want to spend any real money on it or spend ages trying to find the fault and then fixing it.
I am to tight to scrap it with all that fuel in the tank.
I thought I might be able to syphon it and I tried pushing a one meter hose down the filler tube and blowing to see if I could feel it bubble but it didn't bubble and so I think it didn't submerge in the diesel.
Is there an anti syphon system in the filler tube?
Do I need a much longer hose?
I looked at a YouTube vid of a tank removal and there seemed to be an electronic fuel pump on top of the tank. I thought the fuel pump was in the engine bay and I thought Vitos had a mechanical pump (if mechanical I can't use it as engine wont even start).
If there is an electric pump on the tank, is it possible to get that to pump fuel to the engine bay where I could attach a hose and get the fuel?
I don't think I can access the tank from inside the van and I don't think there is a drain plug. Or is there? Any advice please.
It is parked on the road so not easy to raise it up for major work.
P.S. If any wants spares from my vito speak to me.

I am scrapping my Vito van and it has over £80 of diesel in the tank. I want to put it in to Jerry Cans for my next van. The problem is the van has stopped working. I think some sensor or computery glitch. I drove it to where it is parked and switched off as normal. When I came back a few days later it would not start but it was turning over. I gave up that day and then tried again the following day but now the key is not being recognised at all. It won't even turn, no dash lights, nothing. I was going to use the fuel pump to empty the tank but that option seems to have gone.
As I am scrapping it because of ULEZ restrictions and TFL compensation, I don't want to spend any real money on it or spend ages trying to find the fault and then fixing it.
I am to tight to scrap it with all that fuel in the tank.
I thought I might be able to syphon it and I tried pushing a one meter hose down the filler tube and blowing to see if I could feel it bubble but it didn't bubble and so I think it didn't submerge in the diesel.
Is there an anti syphon system in the filler tube?
Do I need a much longer hose?
I looked at a YouTube vid of a tank removal and there seemed to be an electronic fuel pump on top of the tank. I thought the fuel pump was in the engine bay and I thought Vitos had a mechanical pump (if mechanical I can't use it as engine wont even start).
If there is an electric pump on the tank, is it possible to get that to pump fuel to the engine bay where I could attach a hose and get the fuel?
I don't think I can access the tank from inside the van and I don't think there is a drain plug. Or is there? Any advice please.
It is parked on the road so not easy to raise it up for major work.
P.S. If any wants spares from my vito speak to me.
If your Vito van won't recognize the key and has stopped working, it's best to have it diagnosed and repaired by a mechanic before attempting to extract the fuel. The issue could be related to a security or electrical problem, and trying to bypass it might cause further complications. Once the van is operational, you can consider transferring the fuel to jerry cans for future use.

If your Vito van won't recognize the key and has stopped working, it's best to have it diagnosed and repaired by a mechanic before attempting to extract the fuel. The issue could be related to a security or electrical problem, and trying to bypass it might cause further complications. Once the van is operational, you can consider transferring the fuel to jerry cans for future use.
He's scrapping the van, he's not going to spend any money getting it diagnosed far less repaired.

Thanks, but as rf065 has said, I am scrapping it and don't want to spend much money or much time on it. It has aprox £80 worth of diesel so that dictates the amount of effort or ££ I am willing to spend. Looks like I might be giving the fuel away to the scrapies.

He's scrapping the van, he's not going to spend any money getting it diagnosed far less repaired.
Exactly to the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom