• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

E250 w212 2012 AMG exhaust conversion

LeeE250

Car
E250 w212 2012
Hi guys, after owning my Eclass for a few months I have decided to give her a few little upgrades. I'm going to turn her into a e63 rear end replica. I want to install a custom cat back exhaust system, with AMG twin exits on each side. The car is running around 250bhp after a remap. Just after some advice from anyone that has done this and if they think it was worth the effort.

Do you only have one tailpipe on the left? or do you already have one on each side?

Don't forget the AMG badges - I believe there's a thread about that somewhere on here.

Do you only have one tailpipe on the left? or do you already have one on each side?
Hey clk320x
On my E250 there is a tailpipe on both side, I looked at just changing the exhaust tips to AMG look a likes, but id really like to know if adding a custom exhaust system would give the diesel engine a bit of a exhaust rasp

Don't forget the AMG badges - I believe there's a thread about that somewhere on here.
Hey dippo, I don't want to bagde the car up to something it isnt, I just want to pull off that AMG look. In my eyes which I understand isn't the same as everyone, tho AMG badges only belong to that 500+bhp monster...

Hey clk320x
On my E250 there is a tailpipe on both side, I looked at just changing the exhaust tips to AMG look a likes, but id really like to know if adding a custom exhaust system would give the diesel engine a bit of a exhaust rasp

Oh I see, sorry I am not sure. However, if you remove the existing rear section then let me know as I’ll buy it off you! :)

Have a look at the exhaust tail pipes where they exit the car. It may be they are just 'finishers' which are not joined onto the exhaust pipe itself. If that makes sense.

The ML 63 AMG has quad outlets, but the actual twin end pipes are a complete separate piece to the exhaust. The exhaust runs up to the end of the car, stops short, and then the 'finishers' but up to the exhaust pipes.

It may be completely different to the E, but thought I would mention it.

Personally I don't think I no matter what exhaust you put on, it will just sound like a diesel, just louder ;)

Mate , do what you want to YOUR car, and enjoy! Dont listen to certain comments!
Thanks RedGull, some people just prefer put downs than being helpfully. Well I hope there on time for they paper round tomorrow.

Have a look at the exhaust tail pipes where they exit the car. It may be they are just 'finishers' which are not joined onto the exhaust pipe itself. If that makes sense.

The ML 63 AMG has quad outlets, but the actual twin end pipes are a complete separate piece to the exhaust. The exhaust runs up to the end of the car, stops short, and then the 'finishers' but up to the exhaust pipes.

It may be completely different to the E, but thought I would mention it.

Personally I don't think I no matter what exhaust you put on, it will just sound like a diesel, just louder ;)

Hey Abb, I completely agree with your it's still a diesel comments , I'm kind of hoping that someone has some positive feed back on what I'm proposing or I'm just gonna have to trade her in for a e63, the only thing is keeping off doing that is it's used as a family car and I don't want my misses to kill my children driving it lol..

Hey clk320x
Changing the rear box will definitely change the engine note, but I am sorry to say that there's no way you can make a Diesel engine sound good.

The natural sound of a Diesel engine is akin to a riveting gun... the only positive thing you can do to the engine note is silence it as much as possible.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear....

PS - there's obviously a wide range of options for enhancing the aesthetics of the visible parts of the exhaust system.

Hey Abb, I completely agree with your it's still a diesel comments , I'm kind of hoping that someone has some positive feed back on what I'm proposing or I'm just gonna have to trade her in for a e63, the only thing is keeping off doing that is it's used as a family car and I don't want my misses to kill my children driving it lol..

With ESP and modern safety systems it’s unlikely for her to do that unless she is driving dangerously. AMGs are designed to be used daily as normal cars but can become beasts if pushed hard ;)

I own a e350 cdi and been to 5 custom garages, they all said I'd be wasting a few £K on a custom exhaust. They only way to make it sound any better is installing a sound booster. £1400 fitted.
Makes a 3lt diesel sound like a V8 lol
All the new Q7 diesels have them installed as standard. One tuning place (AmD) swears by them, very responsive and most units have a new different tones to chose from. They were very impressed by them. YouTube it if you wish.
But if your only after looks then yeah I get that!

You could have a chat to Imran at Torqueflow in Birmingham. They have done just about every conversion to every car (check their Facebook page for many examples). They would know exactly what’s possible and can probably achieve various outcomes. Changing the bumper and tips to AMG-style is likely not difficult. I also have the dual exit system with chrome tips and indeed they are not joined to the exhaust so could be swapped for AMG tips without changing the exhaust itself.

As Mark says, Diesel engines don’t have a great sound, more tractor-like as it gets louder. The compression is too high to get a nice sound, and anyway 4 cylinders tends not to sound as nice on the ear as 6, 8, etc.

SW18 has hit the nail on the head. There are finishers/tips on the nd that can be changed across - have you seen the price of "genuineAMG Tips" :eek:

In all likelihood you will have to "dremel" the apron versus replace the section itself.

Custom exhausts can be fabricated - couple of good companies eg Powerflow, Torque. There are some good indies that can custom make also.

Suspect that you will never get the sound that you desire from the 250. Given you can buy the E63 - save the expenditure of the E250 and put it toward the E63.

Only good sounding diesel MB..........

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Straight through with DPF delete and reprogrammed ECU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom