E250 w212 2012 AMG exhaust conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I was meaning that the way fuel combusts in Diesel engines is not conducive to a nice sound, as compared to the lower-compression spark ignition in gasoline engines which results in a more appealing sound, especially in multi-cylinder arrangements.

I was meaning that the way fuel combusts in Diesel engines is not conducive to a nice sound, as compared to the lower-compression spark ignition in gasoline engines which results in a more appealing sound, especially in multi-cylinder arrangements.

Got it now - just in the context of exhaust noise it seemed odd!
Agreed, diesel combustion is one of the most offensive noises to the human ear. But, to split hairs, higher compression pressure actually helps lower the noise by reducing the 'delay period' - the period where fuel is present in the cylinder but before combustion has been initiated (waiting for the early arrival droplets to vapourise/atomise for which the higher temp of increased compression helps). The longer the delay period, the more fuel there is present and when it finally starts to combust, the bigger/louder the knock. Worst when cold - but a deaf man could tell you that.

Got it now - just in the context of exhaust noise it seemed odd!
Agreed, diesel combustion is one of the most offensive noises to the human ear. But, to split hairs, higher compression pressure actually helps lower the noise by reducing the 'delay period' - the period where fuel is present in the cylinder but before combustion has been initiated (waiting for the early arrival droplets to vapourise/atomise for which the higher temp of increased compression helps). The longer the delay period, the more fuel there is present and when it finally starts to combust, the bigger/louder the knock. Worst when cold - but a deaf man could tell you that.
I’m learning now!

I’m learning now!

I'm still of a mind to start an Engine Stuff thread to deal with stuff like that. To give a sort of grounding to the basic operation of the engines we know, why they are configured as they are, what has gone before, and what may come in the future (that still burns fuel). And any other engine/drivetrain stuff of interest that anyone would want to contribute and discuss.

Sounds great for a diesel to me. Should be able to make a MB sound just as nice.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom