E55 supercharger magnet removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benlucas

SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E55 Brilliant Silver Metallic
Hi All - car is currently with MSL with the intention of converting it to a fixed 74mm clutchless pulley (due to clutch having burnt out) plus a BWK. This will be the first time Acid has fitted one of these and I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice on removing the magnet.

NB - mod's are: KC/split cooling, EC mid-headers plus X-pipe.

MB do sell a specific tool for this but we're trying to avoid going this route as it will only be used the once.

VRP (where I purchased the pulley/base map) have advised to "Grab a gear puller that's too large to damage front bolt hole threads and put it around the outer drum" after which it just comes right off.

I have trawled MBWorld and one user states he has removed two of them by "heating up the end shaft that the supercharger pulley bearing sits on to about 320° and it will slide right off."

I can't find any videos either, and the only picture I could source is for the SLK, although I assume this is roughly how the gear puller would need to be arranged (except that the arms would need to clamp at the back of the magnet.)

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome as Acid is a little apprehensive...

Ben.

Attachments

• Clutch removal.JPG
    Clutch removal.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Vilus - thank you for the links :)

Jules - fingers crossed!

Not sure what your current set up is, but I’d just go 77mm and no BWK....

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom