• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Engine cover not properly attached..?

molgrips

Car
CLS 250
It's a CLS 250 with OM651 4 cylinder engine. I've been hearing a bit of a shudder on start/stop operation since I had it, so I've been looking around the engine and I noticed that the engine cover was vibrating a lot on the left. Turns out that grommet on the left hand side isn't actually fitting onto the knobble it's meant to, meaning that the whole left hand side is flapping up and down and hitting the air intake pipe when it stops and starts.

Not only that, but underneath you can clearly see where the cover has been pressed onto the gubbins on the top of the engine, particularly the wire that goes to what I think is the crankshaft position sensor. It's got a bit of insulation rubbed off and there's a corresponding mark on the felt on the underside of the cover.

However, it appears to be the original part and the part number checks out against mbepc.net. It's almost as if something on top of the engine has been replaced with something slightly different, or re-fitted badly after a fix. I've bodged it by adding some more of those engine cover grommets to raise it up a bit and I'm relying on the pin at the front to hold it down.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Worth checking the engine mounts are not failing which might cause issues with the engine cover moving.

It's a CLS 250 with OM651 4 cylinder engine. I've been hearing a bit of a shudder on start/stop operation since I had it, so I've been looking around the engine and I noticed that the engine cover was vibrating a lot on the left. Turns out that grommet on the left hand side isn't actually fitting onto the knobble it's meant to, meaning that the whole left hand side is flapping up and down and hitting the air intake pipe when it stops and starts.

Not only that, but underneath you can clearly see where the cover has been pressed onto the gubbins on the top of the engine, particularly the wire that goes to what I think is the crankshaft position sensor. It's got a bit of insulation rubbed off and there's a corresponding mark on the felt on the underside of the cover.

However, it appears to be the original part and the part number checks out against mbepc.net. It's almost as if something on top of the engine has been replaced with something slightly different, or re-fitted badly after a fix. I've bodged it by adding some more of those engine cover grommets to raise it up a bit and I'm relying on the pin at the front to hold it down.

Anyone else have a similar problem?
Those are rubber buffers that clip into the cover, they're quiet cheap from Mercedes and I replaced loads of them

They seem quite robust , common failure item ?

They seem quite robust , common failure item ?
Yeah is where people push too hard on the cover and split the socket where the locators go into

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom