Engine problems after service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Celticbaz

Car
Mercedes Sprinter
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long winded post but hoping somebody could shed some light on the issues I’m experiencing with a 2015 LWB Sprinter here in the UK using the info provided below.

Van is 3.5T 313 CDI, RWD B906, 2143cc 95KW 129HP OM 651.940;OM 651.955. For some context it is a former UPS van so well looked after. Owned it for about 18 months (bought direct from them) and has been running great during that time. Had a few minor jobs done during that time.

The problems here seemed to have arisen immediately after having the van recently serviced. At first, I was told over the phone this would be a major service due with mileage sitting at 94k, but this then changed to just a standard service after review by the garage.

This is what I was told would be carried out in a booking email.

£90.00 oil (special oil for the vehicle)
£13.00 sundries
£6.68 oil filter
£14.58 air filter
£12.96 pollen filter
£72.00 labour
£50.00 fuel filter

Van was serviced approx 3 months ago and has been largely parked up since and only been out for 3-4 very short 5 minute journeys during that time so no obvious or immediate signs of issues. Last week, the first lengthy drive the van went out on since the service (about 45 mins) and the problems began. The first warning I got was the “Engine oil level - Reduce oil level” red warning on the dash that came up as I neared my destination. Shortly after the van started spluttering, jerking (doing about 30mph at time) then the rev counter went haywire up to about 3-4000 without having foot on the gas. Other warnings then immediately appeared on the dash at this time. Visit workshop, ABS, ESP & Traction Control.

I pulled over but the breaks were also strangely unresponsive (felt like breaking on ice) during this whole episode. A roadside technician attended soon after. Oil level was checked via dipstick and this confirmed it was too high. Hard to say exactly but looked 4-5mm above max level. The oil was then drained via the sump at the roadside until the level reached the midway point between min/max. We then took it round the block and the episode happened again. Technician was stumped, spent about 40 minutes looking it over and then followed me home. Strangely, the van did not have the same episode once during my drive home.

Since then I contacted the garage who did the service to explain what had happened, mentioning all the symptoms and oil level being too high following the service - which was witnessed by two people. I got a very frosty response where they asked for photographic evidence of the oil level being too high (given I had a witness, a very strange request I thought and I didn’t have this) so I decided not to take it back to them and go elsewhere for some independent diagnostics. Not sure if it’s relevant or worth mentioning but the only difference with the vehicle since it left the service garage and did 3-4 initial short journeys was that on the day of my long drive I filled the fuel tank to max.

It has since been to a recommended mechanic here in Ayrshire, Scotland. A chap who worked for Mercedes for 10 years+ but he has been unable to determine exactly what is going on or what might have caused this. Bizarrely no warnings appeared on the dash on the drive over to him, about 15 minutes. His diagnostic machine showed it needing a rear ABS sensor and the only other thing was that when checking the injectors he said that the readings for all 4 were all over the place (his words). He was certain that there was fuel in the oil (causing level to rise) and thinks that the injectors may not be regulating fuel flow correctly. He thinks they are leaking inside (not outside) if that makes sense. He also commented that the oil looked strangely clear and questioned whether the service garage had put in the correct oil (how could I find out or prove this is the case without involving the original service garage? He recommended I take it to another garage here in Ayrshire that deals with commercial vehicles (not Mercedes-Benz dealer).

He advised that he had one injector acting similarly in his own Mercedes Vito van and he wasn’t overly concerned by this as his van was running fine. He said the van would be OK to drive short distances but just to watch it and take it to the next garage as soon as possible. I have booked it in, but foolishly took the van out for another drive out of necessity for work the next day - a drive of around 20-30 minutes. Not a particularly warm day but the exact same episode as the original happened again, ABS, EPS on dash, spluttering and rev counter going wild until I either change the gear, hit accelerator even more or stop.

Oil level warning seems to have disappeared since the very first episode and it was drained but the engine is still having the same problems. Also worth mentioning as I have been asked this question a few times, no smoke from exhaust at all throughout this time. No smells or noises from the engine either. Other suggestions have been that the turbo may be gone. Van has felt sluggish since this all started. Problems definitely seem to arise once the engine reaches a certain temperature - longer drives.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be very welcome as it all seems very strange and coincidental that it has occurred immediately after this service when it had been running great up until then.

Van is being taken to this next recommended garage tomorrow, so will update when I know more.

Thanks
Barry

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long winded post but hoping somebody could shed some light on the issues I’m experiencing with a 2015 LWB Sprinter here in the UK using the info provided below.

Van is 3.5T 313 CDI, RWD B906, 2143cc 95KW 129HP OM 651.940;OM 651.955. For some context it is a former UPS van so well looked after. Owned it for about 18 months (bought direct from them) and has been running great during that time. Had a few minor jobs done during that time.

The problems here seemed to have arisen immediately after having the van recently serviced. At first, I was told over the phone this would be a major service due with mileage sitting at 94k, but this then changed to just a standard service after review by the garage.

This is what I was told would be carried out in a booking email.

£90.00 oil (special oil for the vehicle)
£13.00 sundries
£6.68 oil filter
£14.58 air filter
£12.96 pollen filter
£72.00 labour
£50.00 fuel filter

Van was serviced approx 3 months ago and has been largely parked up since and only been out for 3-4 very short 5 minute journeys during that time so no obvious or immediate signs of issues. Last week, the first lengthy drive the van went out on since the service (about 45 mins) and the problems began. The first warning I got was the “Engine oil level - Reduce oil level” red warning on the dash that came up as I neared my destination. Shortly after the van started spluttering, jerking (doing about 30mph at time) then the rev counter went haywire up to about 3-4000 without having foot on the gas. Other warnings then immediately appeared on the dash at this time. Visit workshop, ABS, ESP & Traction Control.

I pulled over but the breaks were also strangely unresponsive (felt like breaking on ice) during this whole episode. A roadside technician attended soon after. Oil level was checked via dipstick and this confirmed it was too high. Hard to say exactly but looked 4-5mm above max level. The oil was then drained via the sump at the roadside until the level reached the midway point between min/max. We then took it round the block and the episode happened again. Technician was stumped, spent about 40 minutes looking it over and then followed me home. Strangely, the van did not have the same episode once during my drive home.

Since then I contacted the garage who did the service to explain what had happened, mentioning all the symptoms and oil level being too high following the service - which was witnessed by two people. I got a very frosty response where they asked for photographic evidence of the oil level being too high (given I had a witness, a very strange request I thought and I didn’t have this) so I decided not to take it back to them and go elsewhere for some independent diagnostics. Not sure if it’s relevant or worth mentioning but the only difference with the vehicle since it left the service garage and did 3-4 initial short journeys was that on the day of my long drive I filled the fuel tank to max.

It has since been to a recommended mechanic here in Ayrshire, Scotland. A chap who worked for Mercedes for 10 years+ but he has been unable to determine exactly what is going on or what might have caused this. Bizarrely no warnings appeared on the dash on the drive over to him, about 15 minutes. His diagnostic machine showed it needing a rear ABS sensor and the only other thing was that when checking the injectors he said that the readings for all 4 were all over the place (his words). He was certain that there was fuel in the oil (causing level to rise) and thinks that the injectors may not be regulating fuel flow correctly. He thinks they are leaking inside (not outside) if that makes sense. He also commented that the oil looked strangely clear and questioned whether the service garage had put in the correct oil (how could I find out or prove this is the case without involving the original service garage? He recommended I take it to another garage here in Ayrshire that deals with commercial vehicles (not Mercedes-Benz dealer).

He advised that he had one injector acting similarly in his own Mercedes Vito van and he wasn’t overly concerned by this as his van was running fine. He said the van would be OK to drive short distances but just to watch it and take it to the next garage as soon as possible. I have booked it in, but foolishly took the van out for another drive out of necessity for work the next day - a drive of around 20-30 minutes. Not a particularly warm day but the exact same episode as the original happened again, ABS, EPS on dash, spluttering and rev counter going wild until I either change the gear, hit accelerator even more or stop.

Oil level warning seems to have disappeared since the very first episode and it was drained but the engine is still having the same problems. Also worth mentioning as I have been asked this question a few times, no smoke from exhaust at all throughout this time. No smells or noises from the engine either. Other suggestions have been that the turbo may be gone. Van has felt sluggish since this all started. Problems definitely seem to arise once the engine reaches a certain temperature - longer drives.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be very welcome as it all seems very strange and coincidental that it has occurred immediately after this service when it had been running great up until then.

Van is being taken to this next recommended garage tomorrow, so will update when I know more.

Thanks
Barry
Welcome to the forum, Barrie. Hope you get the problems resolved. I'm no expert, but one key to this could be the behaviour of the rev-counter. If it is manual. the clutch must have been slipping while the revs were haywire and that might have been due to the turbo feeding oil into the inlet and 'driving' the engine. You eventually brought it under control with the brakes, which you said were unresponsive. However, you would have seen smoke if this was the problem. If your van was automatic, I don't think you would have got away with it! Hopefully, this won't have damaged the engine, but I wouldn't drive it until it was sorted.

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Thanks, It is a manual and yes the clutch was/is acting peculiar during these episodes.

Did they do an oil flush in the first service, normally the oil gets really dark after just a few miles of driving ?
Battery problems can also give strange readings on the dash.

Hi Geoffus, yes it was a full service so I presume the oil was flushed and replaced, I'd hope so anyway! Has a new battery a few months back with very little miles driven since.

A short but unresolved update.

I have fitted 2 new rear ABS sensors, both sides and the problem isn't fixed. Took it out a 5 minute drive after fitting them and the rev counter went through the roof at one point. All warnings back on the dash. ABS, ESP, Visit workshop and Traction control.

I would have been very surprised had it of been as simple as an ABS sensor and suspected that to be the case.

Back to the drawing board. I think the next stop is reluctantly the Mercedes-Benz garage sometime this week :(

Hello all,

Better late than never for an update and apologies the delay. Life just gets in the way sometimes, my Mother became ill and has since passed away so my priorities were understandably elsewhere for a long time.

Should it be of any use or interest to people viewing this thread in the future, the problem turned out to be the faulty rear ABS speed sensor as diagnosed by the local - non official MB expert via his diagnostic machine. I replaced both (to be sure) myself and the issues were resolved. I have had no sign of possible injector issues ever since either. The service seems to have been coincidental timing, however I still intermittently get the "reduce oil level" warning on the dash to this day, which first began straight after that service. Oil level had been over-filled during that service but is fine now. I will get round to replacing the oil level sensor which I'm sure this problem is related to (this particular van, a camper, is not driven very often).

Thanks
Barry

With the oil level sensor, I had similar issue with mine but unfortunately for me it was 2 worn piston rings so it drank a lot of oil. Can a compression test be done prior to you changing the level sensor? or if the oil level fine and that the warning just keeps appearing?

With the oil level sensor, I had similar issue with mine but unfortunately for me it was 2 worn piston rings so it drank a lot of oil. Can a compression test be done prior to you changing the level sensor? or if the oil level fine and that the warning just keeps appearing?

Sorry to hear that but the situation seems different with mine in that it the oil level does not diminish. I know oil expands the hotter it gets but it shouldn't be setting off the sensor in mine. I'll just replace it and see if that does the trick. Will update when done but not in any immediate rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom