• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Facebook, the new ebay is the new Facebook.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Several times now I (I know) I have been drawn into the world of "free ads" on Facebook.

I have both, bought & sold. I find most recently, this whole process, has turned into a "Dutch Auction" Where the fist thing to appear with the advert, is the lack of any morals . The most common approach, appears to be this:

1) Advertise your goods for sale and be sure to include some nice tempting color photographs.
2) When a seller contacts you (via Messenger) reply immediately to that message advising the seller that "yes the goods are still for sale at the advertised price & description" and "yes you will accept PayPal, Cash in hand, pick up in person or postage"

3) Wait a couple of days for the buyer to message you, stating that "they have not heard anything further back from you"? You have already told them you are buying and offered a deposit, cash, PayPal etc.

4) Message back stating that the items are still for sale and you are just awaiting (insert any old toot).

5) Mark the item as sold to another buyer for a bigger price!!!

Why do people want to waste other peoples time like this?

If you want more then, ask for more. If you don't wish to sell then don't advertise.

This week it was Tool/Drill Bit tins with locks. Advertised as "sold individually" the seller had 80+ for sale and requested a minimum of £2.00 per tin (no auction). I asked would they accept £3.00 per tin + any postage, and stated that I was happy to pay more if it ensured the sale to me (remember they have no Buy It Now Price - as such).

They came back and agreed postage with no questions or haggle from me and a 8 tins at £3.00 per tin.

The next day.... The items appear as "Sold" as a job lot to another buyer at a higher price.

I mail the seller and ask if they are still selling to me as agreed?

I get back. "No I sold them to somebody else"

What a waste of time and it is getting worse.

I'm happy that we all want to make money and a profit. But come on folks. Is there any need for all the messing around?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom