• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Getting one wheel refurbed?

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

When changing to my winter wheels back in November, I was cleaning the summer's before storing them away and managed to drop it on the face, right onto a curb. Awesome.

Is it generally a stupid idea to get just one wheel refurbed, in terms of colour matching? They are a custom colour 'shadow chrome'. I’ve tried to attach whatever pictures I had on my phone to show that the colour looks different depending on the light - It can vary from a 'shiny gunmetal grey' to bright chrome.

Will most places do a decent job? I'm thinking of taking the wheel and perhaps another for reference, to 'Flat Out Alloys' in Cardiff. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

The other 3 wheels aren't 100% perfect - not curbed at all, but First Aid Wheels in London were generally a complete joke (avoid, horrendous experience) and the finish isn't going to last long. I don't think the clear coat is very thick at all, they rushed it and didn't bake for long enough either. But the other three are fine for now, and I don't want to spend £400-500 right now just to touch up my wheels all in one go.

Cheers

Attachments

• 0D36A30B-0AED-46E7-8EE8-FD6DA0793A6C.jpeg
    0D36A30B-0AED-46E7-8EE8-FD6DA0793A6C.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 29
  • D38D1689-D36D-4BFD-827F-74D396A179B1.jpeg
    D38D1689-D36D-4BFD-827F-74D396A179B1.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 27
  • A9E76CA3-4703-43D6-AAFC-8676D863D4DE.jpeg
    A9E76CA3-4703-43D6-AAFC-8676D863D4DE.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 200CAA0C-BFE2-4DA7-B5AB-D1BF3681AF78.jpeg
    200CAA0C-BFE2-4DA7-B5AB-D1BF3681AF78.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Thanks for replying - I've heard of Lepsoms.

Unfortunately, my wheels aren't an OEM colour! Well, maybe if you have an E39 M5 they are..... Most places' 'shadow chrome' varies a bit, hence the question.

I can't see it will ever be a 100 % match. Close enough?...maybe. At least they won't be side by side ....like the mismatched panels on repaired silver cars!

Double the money I know but I’d be thinking about getting 2 wheels refurbished. A front and a rear on same side of the car. ☺️
+1

Wise words. I would say trying to match a non standard finish will likely lead to a mismatch so get two done and kee them in the same side of the car 👍🏻

Yeah 2 done on same side.

I ran a car like this they were anthracite and the shades differed slightly on either side of the car. But if you didn't know you wouldn't of spotted it without removing all 4 and putting them beside each other

I’d bite the bullet and get all four done somewhere that is decent and inexpensive.

I’d be taking those wheels to BJV engineering in Flaunden. They are very good and were always very fairly priced too.

You’d need to check those prices are up to date, but £192 including VAT for all four wheels in a standard colour if you can get the tyres removed and refitted or another £12 a wheel for tyre removal, refitting and valves/balancing etc so £240 all in :cool:

Perhaps I was unlucky but I tried a couple of places to get just the rears done on my car - they'd corroded around the valve holes but all the wheels were otherwise unmarked. Neither place would do just two. One place was quite rude too.

Perhaps I was unlucky but I tried a couple of places to get just the rears done on my car - they'd corroded around the valve holes but all the wheels were otherwise unmarked. Neither place would do just two. One place was quite rude too.
Strange people

I got 1 done on my mini and 1 done on my mercedes 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why would i want 4 done if 3 were in good condition. Makes no sense

I’d bite the bullet and get all four done somewhere that is decent and inexpensive.

I’d be taking those wheels to BJV engineering in Flaunden. They are very good and were always very fairly priced too.

You’d need to check those prices are up to date, but £192 including VAT for all four wheels in a standard colour if you can get the tyres removed and refitted or another £12 a wheel for tyre removal, refitting and valves/balancing etc so £240 all in :cool:
I've never used them, but I've seen them before and never understood how these guys could be so cheap. They're like 40% of the price of Lepsons!

Have you actually used them?

The Cardiff place didn't pick up, but it's pretty convenient as I'm passing it regularly. Thanks for the Bridgend recommendation too @Wenglish

Last edited:
I've never used them, but I've seen them before and never understood how these guys could be so cheap. They're like 40% of the price of Lepsons!

The Cardiff place didn't pick up, but it's pretty convenient as I'm passing it regularly. Thanks for the Bridgend recommendation too @Wenglish
I’ve probably had around twenty sets of wheels done by them over a 15 year period, they’ve been very good overall.

They operate in a remote area, hence lower overheads, and have always been very competitive. For the sort of wheels that you have there they would be ideal IMHO.

There’s a few other options, I think there’s a place in the midlands who do powder coating and wheel refurbs for even less but I have never used them and cannot vouch for their work.

I wouldn’t spend £500/600 on a coated finish for the wheels you have there, especially if funds are limited.

I used a mobile 'smart' paint repair guy to do a repair on one of the non-standard wheels on my previous 211 Sport. Perfect match! He also did a perfect job on one of the valve covers on my R1200RT that I managed to drop - folk told me it would be impossible to match as BMW didn't supply a colour code for them...they were wrong!

Pete

There’s a few other options, I think there’s a place in the midlands who do powder coating and wheel refurbs for even less but I have never used them and cannot vouch for their work.
I have used them many times and can recommend them highly. Great people & a proper family run business.

(FYI - For diesel drivers the location is within the Birmingham Clean Air Zone)

I have also used BJV Engineering (after Wills recommendation) & they were spot on.

FYI - the road to drive there has a few potholes so take your time!

I have also used BJV Engineering (after Wills recommendation) & they were spot on.

FYI - the road to drive there has a few potholes so take your time!
On the plus side, there’s a couple of nice pubs close by 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom