Headlight Condensation: Breather Vents possible group buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
Now back in Merc ownership. Thank goodness.

Got some condensation in my w212 pre-facelift headlights, but this seems to affect nearly every model. Seems that the headlights have breather valves/tubes with membrane in them. Over time, road dust and grime blocks these, and the headlights start to exhibit condensation regularly, and MB do have a bulletin for this in the US. A possible solution seems to be fitting a breather vent in each of the lightbulb access caps.

Don't know if we're allowed to link to other forums, but there is a good thread on US based mbworld describing it here:
How I tackled headlight condensation - MBWorld.org Forums

I've enquired with Gore UK about their equivalent product, see here:
Venting | Automotive, Packaging, Protective & Portable Electronics Vents | Gore

I'm waiting for a response.
If they can't supply UK (can't find anything on Google), I'll order some sets from the US.
Would anyone be interested in me sourcing extra? Let me know here, and I'll see what can be arranged before ordering any. Group buy would be most useful for US orders I suspect, as although it might trip about the tax value by HMRC so incur a charge, it will only be 1 international shipping package.

Reporting back with some surprising, and some unsurprising findings.
The group buy is no longer something I will pursue, as there is another solution using MB parts.

First, unsurprisingly, after emails and phone calls (to be put through to voicemails, which I left), I've had no response from Gore. So I guess they're not interested in selling anything. Also, the breather vents shown in the thread on the US forum, whilst $4.00 for two, are shipped with a $50+ shipping charge. No thank you.

Now, more surprisingly, I've come across headlight caps for other Mercs that have breather strips in them. Or more correctly, upgraded headlight caps that have breather vents in them. A lot more digging has revealed (by trawling through the online parts catalogues) that in actual fact the two caps used in the E class (A2088200249 - low beam, A0008264324 - high beam) are also used on a load of other car headlights e.g. W204 (C class) and W166 (ML), all of a similar vintage i.e. from about 2010-2015.
What is more surprising, is that on those cars, the caps have all been upgraded, and the newer caps have the improved breather membrane built into those caps, but on the E class, that upgrade has not been flowed through into the parts catalogue.

The way to check if a part has been upgraded on another model is to do a part number search in the online catalogue against the part in question. This will bring up all models and variants that the part number applies to. You can then time consumingly check each of those models and variants to see if that part number has been upgraded. I am also making the leap/assumption that because the original part fitted, the new one will also fit.

I assume the upgrade on the C and ML were to tackle condensation in the headlights. It's pretty poor that this isn't flowed through across the whole range of lights.

A0008264324 has been replaced by A0008268124
A2088200249 has been replaced by A0008268924

Reporting back on this; I've had the new caps on for about 5 weeks, and I've not had any condensation that I've noticed at all. I don't know if this is coincidence or not. I'll assume not, but if I get condensation in future, I'll update again.

One point to note: access is super tight, and I couldn't apply enough torque with my fingers to seat the new caps, as the seals on the new caps were not squished flat. Therefore I had to take the front wheel arch liners out, which provides great access. I'd suggest the same problem exists when changing any bulbs; I doubt there is even have enough room to change the bulb!?

If the caps have been off before on the light with more condensation, this might be a factor.

My Mrs had the same on her first SLK, I found that parking it in a South facing position helped a lot.

A0008264324 has been replaced by A0008268124
A2088200249 has been replaced by A0008268924

If you actually try and order either of those old part number, the parts ordering system replaces with the new ones. Parts Information / EPC does/did not always get updated for old models - which isn't that surprising since no development is being done on old vehicles apart from safety recalls.

Hope that helps

R

Hi All
Just posted on another thread about water in the units, but this seems like a much easier solution, would these caps fit a 2014 W222

Hi All
Just posted on another thread about water in the units, but this seems like a much easier solution, would these caps fit a 2014 W222
Standing water in the headlights is indicative of a faulty unit, not condensation.

If it's condensation, phone MB Grangemouth (or another dealer if their not open) give them your reg and they'll be able to find the headlight caps and see if there's been an upgraded cap with the vents.

Standing water in the headlights is indicative of a faulty unit, not condensation.

If it's condensation, phone MB Grangemouth (or another dealer if their not open) give them your reg and they'll be able to find the headlight caps and see if there's been an upgraded cap with the vents.

Sorry meant to say condensation not water, I did a search on the part number and it says fits W204 W171 W212 W222 might just by a set if they say they have them

What's the cost of the new caps?

Couldn't you just add some vents to the old ones?

Yes
What's the cost of the new caps?

Couldn't you just add some vents to the old ones?
Yes but I think it also needs a breather membrane to stop moisture getting in

phone MB Grangemouth..... give them your reg and they'll be able to find the headlight caps.
...and give them your forum username! (if their parts team is still open)

I paid less than £90 for the four. Still a bit pricy, but no faffing and I couldn't get a decent vent sourced in the UK/for a sensible price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom